I. Environmental protection during current economic activities
1. Atmospheric air protection
2. Water resources protection
3. Land plots protection
4. Waste disposition
5. Emergency liquidation
II. Environmental protection during shipboard wastes collection
III. Environmental protection during construction/reconstruction of port infrastructure facilities
IV. Environmental protection during dredging works
V. Environmental protection expenses of the Vanino Branch
VI. Prospects of environmental protection activities
Main objectives of the FSUE “Rosmorport” Vanino Branch in the field of environmental protection are:
- reducing the negative environmental impact that arises in the process of economic activity of the Branch;
- compliance with environmental legislation and environmental quality standards;
- production control over the implementation of environmental protection measures by the Branch.
Environmental protection activities of the Vanino Branch are carried out in accordance with annual environmental protection plans of the Branch, which is developed and approved in accordance with the requirements of the Russian Federation legislation.
In order to ensure environmental protection activities in the staffing table of the Vanino Branch there is a structural subdivision, employees of which deal with the organization issues of control of the Branch’s compliance with the norms and requirements of the Russian legislation in the field of environmental protection, implements measures of industrial environmental monitoring during performance of the the Branch's statutory activities in the seaports of Vanino, De-Kastri, Nikolaevsk-on-Amur and Sovetskaya Gavan.
Employees of the Vanino Branch, engaged in this field of activity, have necessary specialized education in the field of Environmental Protection and Rational Use of Natural Resources and work experience in that field of at least 3 years.
In accordance with the requirements of the environmental legislation of the Russian Federation, objects that have a negative impact on the environment must be put on the government accounting in the federal government register.
As of 01.01.2021, 3 infrastructure facilities that are operated by the Vanino branch have been put on the government accounting in the federal government register of objects. Two facilities belong to the II category of facilities that have a moderate negative impact on the environment, and one facility belongs to III category of facilities that have an insignificant negative impact on the environment.
The FSUE “Rosmorport” Vanino Branch takes the following environmental protection measures during current economic activities.
1. Atmospheric air protection
Stationary air pollution sources operated by the Vanino Branch in the course of its economic activity are heating systems (boilers) and vessels boilers used for heating the Branch's premises.
In order to observe restrictions on norms of emitting harmful substances into the atmosphere when operating the equipment, the Vanino Branch conducts its routine inspections and periodic repairs.
In accordance with the requirements of the legislation of the Russian Federation in the sphere of air protection, the branch has taken an inventory of all sources of atmospheric emissions and made calculations of maximum permissible emission standards.
Change dynamics of the Vanino Branch emissions of pollutants
The increase in emissions in 2020 is associated with a longer heating period last year and, as a consequence, the need for prolonged operation of stationary sources of pollution – heating plants
In accordance with the water legislation of the Russian Federation, the Vanino branch received decisions:
- dated 24.12.2019 No.00-20.04.00.001-M-RBBK-T-2019-02283/00 for the use of a water body with an area of 0.16 km2 located near the sea area No. 154 at the entrance to the Sovetskaya Gavan Bay of Tatar Strait of the Sea of Japan, for the disposal of bottom soil extracted during repair dredging, issued by the Amur Basin Water Administration of Rosvodresursy, valid until October 21, 2029;
- dated 15.03.2021 No.00-20.04.00.001-M-RBBK-T-2021-02568/00 for the use of a water body with an area of 0.51 km2 located in sea area No. 154 at the entrance to the Sovetskaya Gavan Bay of the Tatar Strait of the Sea of Japan, for the disposal of bottom soil extracted during the construction and reconstruction of hydraulic structures, issued by the Amur Basin Water Administration of Rosvodresursy, valid until June 4, 2023.
Under the terms of water use, the Vanino Branch conducts periodic monitoring of the state of the water body, which had been assigned to the Branch for use. Monitoring is carried out during dredging operations in accordance with the program approved by the Amur Basin Water Department of Rosvodresyrsy. To carry out the works, the Vanino Branch brings in on a competitive basis specialized accredited organizations, which have necessary experience, material and technical basis and a license for this activity. Data of analytic monitoring and reports on the implementation of water conservation measures are quarterly and annually submitted to the Department of Water Resources for the Khabarovsk Territory of Rosvodresyrsy and Amur Basin Water Territorial Department of Federal Agency for Fishery (Rosrybolovstvo).
According to the results of 2020, no pollution of the water body used by the Vanino branch was detected.
All Branch’s vessels are equipped with reservoirs for collection of solid waste and operational waste, tanks and cisterns for storing oily and household water treatment and devices for its subsequent transmission for treatment and disposal, as well as oil sorbent for the prevention of marine pollution. Periodic checks of knowledge of the MARPOL 73/78 Convention rules are carried out with the crews of vessels. Vanino Branch carries out permanent accounting and control of delivery of bilge water and ship waste to receiving port facilities, in order to prevent their discharge into sea.
3. Land plots protection
The Vanino Branch maintains production control over the leased land plots to prevent littering or pollution of the territory. Hazardous wastes are put into specially equipped temporary storage sites, before being transported to disposition. The Branch brings in specialized organizations to perform systematic waste disposal and territory cleaning. Every year the Vanino Branch employees conduct volunteer clean-ups of the territories occupied by the Branch's facilities.
4. Waste disposition
The Vanino Branch keeps permanent record of volume of waste generated in the process of current economic activities, monitoring of places of temporary storage, frequency of their removal.
In the established order, on the basis of the developed projects, decision of the Rosprirodnadzor Department for the Far Eastern Federal District No. 164 dated 26.12.2017 approved standards of waste generation and limits on their placing for the Vanino Branch.
The majority of production and consumption waste generated in the Vanino Branch refer to 3-5 hazard classes. The proportion of waste of 1-2 hazard classes (mercury lamps and spent batteries) in the total volume of waste of the Vanino Branch is 0.8% in 2020.
For the purposes of export and disposal of waste from its territory, in the established order, the Vanino Branch signed contracts with specialized licensed enterprises for collection, transportation and placing of all types of waste of the Branch.
In particular, the waste of the first and second hazard classes on a contractual basis are sent for disposal to specialized licensed enterprises. The third hazard classes waste (various oils, bilge and oily waters resulting from the operation of vessels and vessels of the Branch) is also sent to specialized enterprises for recycling. Municipal solid waste is transported to the municipal urban landfills, and waste and fecal waters in accordance with the provisions of water and nature protection legislation are disposed outside the 12-mile maritime zone.
Change dynamics of the Vanino Branch waste production volumes
The increase in waste volumes of the Vanino branch in 2020 is associated with the transfer of three new vessels to operation of the branch.
5. Emergency liquidation
As the Vanino Branch possesses harbor vessels and facilities for recycling and disposal of wastes of 1-5 class of hazards , a Plan on Prevention and Liquidation of Emergency Oil and Oil Products Leaks was elaborated and approved, in order to enable readiness, prompt reaction and organization of liquidation works in the coverage zone of the plan (Vanino Bay and its approaches).
Trainings on liquidation of emergency oil and oil products leaks liquidation are occasionally conducted in order to make the branch ready to fight emergency leaks and to rehearse the actions of the employees. If necessary, the Vanino Branch vessels could be used for oil and oil products leaks liquidation from the facilities and vessels of other organizations in the water areas of the Vanino Bay and the Sovetskaya Gavan Bay.
The Vanino Branch renders services on collection and transportation of shipboard wastes. Collection of bilge waters and sewage, and solid domestic wastes from vessels is carried out by the Vanino Branch with the help of an oil garbage disposal vessel 26 and a bilge-water removing vessel Kopi according to the requirements of MARPOL 73/78.
Activities for the collection and transportation of vessel-generated waste are carried out by the Vanino Branch in accordance with a license for carrying out activities for collection, transportation, processing, recycling, neutralization and disposal of I-IV hazard classes waste No. 077216 dated 19.04.2016, issued by the Rosprirodnadzor Department of the Central Federal District.
The Vanino Branch submits the collected shipboard wastes for their further disposal according to contracts made with the specialized licensed organizations.
Dry solid consumption wastes collected from vessels are placed in special metal containers and then transported to the municipal landfill of consumption waste. Waste and oily waters are collected in hermetic cisterns of a specialized vessel, and then are sent to a specialized licensed organization for subsequent purification and discharge into the sewage system in the prescribed manner.
The staff of the Vanino Branch includes specialists on the work with shipboard wastes trained under the program "Providing ecological safety while working with hazardous wastes".
Diagram of the sewage collected from vessels by the Vanino Branch
Diagram of the bilge waters collected from vessels by the Vanino Branch
Diagram of the waste collected from vessels by the Vanino Branch
In this direction, the Vanino Branch implemented several investment projects within performance of construction customer functions. The project documentation for all facilities was developed in strict accordance with the standards and requirements of the Russian Federation in the field of environmental protection legislation. Public hearings were held in accordance with established procedure and positive conclusions of the State and State Ecological Expertise Committees were received.
Currently, the Vanino Branch has no capital investment projects for port infrastructure facilities development, which are on the stage of construction and installation works, but in the short and medium terms the Branch plans to implement several projects of capital investments in the seaport of Vanino. In particular:
- project of reconstruction of “Vanino-Kholmsk” road-railway ferry complex coastal facilities in the seaport of Vanino. In accordance with the requirements of the environmental legislation of the Russian Federation, the project organization arranged public hearings for discussion of the project, including the materials on environmental impact. As a result of the discussions, the submitted materials received approval (minutes of public hearings of March 15, 2016, approved by the Head of Vanino Municipal District). According to the established procedure, the drafted project documentation was submitted to the State Ecological Expertise, and received a positive conclusion of the State Ecological Expertise Board of September 8, 2016 approved by Order of Directorate of Rosprirodnadzor in the Far-Eastern Federal District No. 531 of September 9, 2016 stating its compliance to the requirements of the environmental protection legislation of the Russian Federation, as well as instructive and methodic documents in the field of environmental protection. Project documentation and the results of engineering survey submitted to FAI “Glavgosexpertiza of Russia” have been returned for finalization. At present, the project documentation, after re-examination by the expert commission of the state ecological expertise, received a positive conclusion dated 04.06.2020, approved by order of the Amur Interregional Department of Rosprirodnadzor dated 15.06.2020 No. 178. Design documentation and engineering survey results are prepared for submission to the FAI "Glavgosexpertiza of Russia" to undergo a state examination. Due to the fact that during the reconstruction of the ferry complex dredging works are planned, the Vanino branch received in the established order the decision from 18.03.2021 № 00-20.04.00.001-M-RBBK-T-2021-02568/00 for the use of the water body with an area of 0.51 km2, located at the entrance to Sovetskaya Gavan Bay of the Tatar Strait of the Sea of Japan, for disposal of the bottom soil extracted during construction and reconstruction of hydraulic engineering structures, issued by the Amur Basin Water Department of Rosvodresursy, valid until June 4, 2023.
Subject to the receipt of a positive conclusion of state examinations and with the allocation of the necessary funding, the start of construction and installation work on the project is scheduled for 2022.
- the project for the construction of the building for the navigation safety services of the FSUE “Rosmorport” Vanino branch. Based on the design results, environmental impact assessment materials and design documentation are submitted for public discussion in accordance with the established procedure. According to the results of the discussions (minutes of the Administration of the urban settlement "Vanino worker's settlement" of the Vanino municipal district of the Khabarovsk Territory as of 14.10.2019), environmental impact assessment materials were generally approved. In accordance with the legislation of the Russian Federation in the field of environmental expertise (Article 11 of the Federal Law No. 174-FZ as of 23.11.1995 "On Environmental Expertise"), state environmental expertise regarding the project for the construction of a building for navigation safety services is not required. The results of engineering surveys and design documentation initially submitted for consideration by the state examination were returned by the Far Eastern Branch of FAI "Glavgosexpertiza of Russia" for revision in terms of the need to adjust the estimated cost of construction. As a result of the revision, the updated design documentation and the results of engineering surveys are submitted to FAI "Glavgosexpertiza of Russia". The re-submitted materials received a positive conclusion of the state re-examination, including verification of the reliability of determining the estimated cost of the capital construction facility, No. 27-1-1-3-029679-2021 as of 07.06.2021, approved by FAI "Glavgosexpertiza of Russia". At present, a specialized organization is carrying out a development of working documentation.
Subject to the successful completion of the work and the allocation of the necessary funding, the start of construction and installation work is scheduled for 2022.
In order to ensure the safety of navigation and maintain the declared depths, the Vanino Branch is carrying out dredging operations in the seaport of Vanino.
In accordance with the requirements of the environmental legislation, the Vanino branch has developed the project documentation “Performing repair dredging works in the water area of the seaport of Vanino for a period of 10 years”. The project was approved by the state authorities in accordance with the established procedure and received a positive conclusion of the state environmental impact assessment, approved by order of Rosprirodnadzor dated October 21, 2019 No. 505.
In 2021, the branch plans to carry out repair dredging in the volume of almost 30 thousand cubic meters of excavated bottom soil.
Disposal of the soil dredged during repair dredging is planned to be carried out in the underwater marine dump located in the north-west direction between Putyatin and Zeleny capes at the entrance to Sovetskaya Gavan Bay (near the existing disposal area No. 154) on the basis of permit No. 197M dated 07.02.2020, issued by Rosprirodnadzor. In accordance with the established procedure, the Vanino Branch received a decision dated 24.12.2019 No.00-20.04.00.001-M-RBBK-T-2019-02283/00 for the use of the water body with an area of 0.16 km2 located near the sea area No. 154 at the entrance to the Sovetskaya Gavan of Tatar Strait of the Sea of Japan, for the disposal of bottom soil extracted during repair dredging, issued by the Amur Basin Water Administration of Rosvodresursy, valid until October 21, 2029.
While performing the relevant dredging works, the branch will carry out continuous industrial environmental control and environmental monitoring of water bodies, as well as monitoring of the impact on biological resources with the involvement of specialized professional organizations on a contractual basis. Environmental monitoring results will be submitted quarterly to the Amur Basin Water Authority of Rosvodresursy in accordance with the established procedure.
In order to reproduce aquatic bioresources for the implementation of compensatory measures during repair dredging in the Vanino seaport water area, the company plans to organize in 2022 the work on rearing and releasing of fry valuable species of Far Eastern fish.
As part of the federal program “Development of the Russian Transport System” construction of a transport loading and unloading complex on the northern shore of the Muchke Bay in the seaport of Vanino for handling coal is under construction in the framework of a joint investment project with VaninoTransUgol, LLC. As to the enterprise's obligations, the investment project envisages dredging works in the operational waters of berths No. 1 and No. 2 in the seaport of Vanino in 2 stages: at the first stage, in the area of 28.7 hectares with bringing the seabed level to -19.3 meters, and at the second stage, in the area of 33.7 hectares with bringing the seabed level to -21.2 meters, in order to make navigation depths safe for approach and mooring of SN-163, SN-115, SN-70 and SN-40 design vessels. Besides, the enterprise is going to arrange anchorage with the area of 10.9 square kilometers and seabed level of -21 ~ -30 meters to ensure safe mooring of vessels, and install a light at the pier and 6 beacon buoys.In accordance with the established procedure, the project organization held public hearings to discuss project materials including the materials for assessment of environmental impact. As a result of the discussions, the submitted materials were approved taking into account the remarks and suggestions of the citizens (minutes of public hearings of January 10, 2014 approved by Head of the Vanino Municipal District). The project documentation, which was amended according to the results of the public hearings, was submitted to the State Ecologial Expertise Board, and its positive conclusion was received on June 3, 2014 approved by Order of Rosprirodnadzor No. 337 of June 5, 2014 stating its compliance to the environmental requirements set by the legislation of the Russian Federation in the field of environmental protection. The project documentation and the results of the engineering findings submitted to FAI “Glavgosekspertiza of Russia” have also received a positive conclusion of the State Expertise Board No. 1701-14/GGE-8952/04 of December 30, 2014 approved by FAI “Glavgosekspertiza of Russia”. Information on the progress of the project can be found in the section “Development of port infrastructure facilities”.
For the period of the relevant dredging, the Vanino Branch, in accordance with the established procedure, draws up a decision on providing a section of the water area of Muchke Bay of the Tatar Strait in the water area of the seaport of Vanino for use. Due to the fact that the previously issued decision has expired, the Vanino Branch is currently drawing up in accordance with existing rules a new decision of the Amur Basin Water Administration of Rosvodresursy on the provision of a section of the water area for dredging works.
According to the results of the first stage of the construction of the facility in accordance with the design solutions, all the soil formed during the first stage of dredging works was stored in full on a special site (reclamation map) in the railway loop in the western part of the terminal. The soil is laid on the shore for further reclamation by bringing in a fertile layer of soil and planting perennial grasses.
The water contained in the dredged material (slurry) is discharged back into the sea, having been pre-treated in a sedimentation pond and shandor-type disposal wells designed to clarify the water and prevent turbidity in the marine environment.
While carrying out dredging operations the Vanino Branch makes permanent environmental monitoring of a water facility and its impact on bioresources to assess the impact of dredging operations on the water environment.
The monitoring is made under a program approved by the FSUE “Rosmorport” Vanino Branch by involving specialized organizations on a contractual basis. The measurements of the marine environment state are made before starting, producing and ending the operations. This will make it possible to control the impact of dredging operations on the environment.
The results of environmental monitoring submitted to the Amur Basin Directorate of the Federal Water Resources Agency every quarter prove that the impact given on the hydrochemical composition of water facilities during dredging operations is admissible and does not exceed the existing background level.
During dredging operations, the branch takes measures to protect water facilities, for example:
- it uses technically sound dredgers with regulated fuel injection equipment;
- the operations are carried out within the strict limits of an allotted water area;
- the leakage of shore pipes, including in a joint of a dredger and a shore pipe is excluded while carrying out dredging operations.
In 2019 The Vanino Branch released over four millions of young keta salmon with the weight of over 1.1 grams to Tikhoye Lake located in the Sovetsky-Gavansky district, Khabarovsk Territory to compensate damage caused to water bioresources during dredging operations. The Vanino Branch spent about 21.9 million Rubles to this end. The specified compensatory measures are made in full volume, provided by the project, and take into account all damage to aquatic bioresources during dredging operations within the framework of two phases.
Because of the achievement of the high-altitude position of the coastal alluvial map of the project level and, as a result, the need to change the storage location of the withdrawn bottom soil in the underwater dump, a specialized organization is currently adjusting the project documentation. Amendments to the project documentation will be submitted in due course for consideration of state expertise.
The Vanino Branch is planned to implement several investment projects in the near-term outlook and the midterm. The projects are aimed at building underwater hydraulic facilities and carrying out dredging operations. Particularly,
- a project for building an alumina ore transshipping terminal in the seaport of Vanino under a joint investment project with Prichal, LLC. Under the investment project, the enterprise is planning to carry out dredging operations in the operational water area of the seaport of Vanino over an area of 15 ha with bringing the bottom’s marks to -13.6 meters for navigational depths to ensure safe approach and mooring of vessels with the deadweight of 35.000-40.000 tons, i.e. the SN-163, the SN-115, the SN-70 and the SN-40 (up to 292 meters in length, up to 45 meters in breadth and up to 17.1 meters in load draught) and install two marine lights (the Kolonna type) on berth No. 2, replace a marine light on pier No. 3 and assemble a temporary marine light on pier No. 1. The implementation of the project will make it possible to create a modern image of the terminal, which will transship coal in the amount of 1.5 million tons at the first stage. Finally, the terminal will be able to transship coal in the volume of 3 million tons. According to the established procedure, the project organization held several hearings to discuss materials of the project, including materials related to assessing the impact on the environment. Based on the results of the hearing (the protocol of October 17, 2017 endorsed by the head of the administration of the Vanino Municipal District and the protocol of July 3, 2018 endorsed by the acting head of the administration of the Vanino Municipal District) the materials on the assessment of the impact on the environment have been approved. Based on the results of the state environmental examination, the project documentation received a positive conclusion from the state expert commission as of 18.01.2019, approved by order of the Pacific Maritime Administration of Rosprirodnadzor No. 21 as of 18.01.2019. The results of engineering surveys and design documentation are submitted in accordance with the established procedure to FAI "Glavgosexpertiza of Russia". According to the results of their consideration, a positive conclusion of the state examination No. 27-1-1-3-0136-19 as of 17.09.2019 was received. The design documentation and results of engineering surveys of the coastal part of the project presented by “Prichal” LLC in FAI "Glavgosexpertiza of Russia" also received a positive conclusion from the state expertise.
Subject to the positive conclusions of state expert reviews and the allocation of the necessary funding the beginning of construction and installation work is scheduled for 2025.
The total expense of the Vanino Branch on implementation of environmental protection measures in 2020 made up 25.5 million roubles, including payments for negative influence on the environment.
Dynamics of the Vanino Branch expenses on environmental protection measures
The main tasks of the branch in the field of environmental protection for the nearest future are:
• decrease of negative influence on the environment due to modernization of equipment used by the branch;
• increasing supervision after all environmental protection activities of the Vanino Branch;
• implementation of modern energy and resource saving technologies.