Facilities of the Rail-Road Ferry Complex in the Seaport of Kholmsk Transferred to Sakhalin Branch
By decree No. 229-r of the Territorial Federal Property Management Agency in the Sakhalin region dated 03.12.2015 and in accordance with order No. 751 of FSUE “Rosmorport” dated 23.12.2015, launch complexes of 1st and 2nd stages, as well as the passenger ramp, designated for ensuring operation of lifting mechanisms of the ferry complex in the seaport of Kholmsk, were transferred to the Branch for economic management.
The said facilities were previously owned by the Sakhalin region and operated by OAO “Sakhalin Shipping Company” in order to carry out roll-on/roll-off of railway cars and vehicles on sea ferries of “Sakhalin”-type, cruising along the Kholmsk-Vanino line.
The decision to transfer facilities to the Sakhalin Branch for economic management is related to the upcoming reconstruction of coastal facilities of the Vanino-Kholmsk rail-road ferry line in the seaport of Kholmsk, under the federal target program “Economic and social development of the Far-Est and the Baikal Region till 2018”. The development of the project documentation is to be completed in 2016.
Implementation of this project will allow to increase throughput of the ferry complex, and will increase the level of safety of ferry crossing facilities in the seaport of Kholmsk during their subsequent operation. The reconstructed ferry complex will receive both existing sea ferries of “Sakhalin”-type and new sea ferries with increased passenger capacity and ability to transport greater number of vehicles (railway wagons and road transport).
Nowadays, the facilities transferred to the Sakhalin Branch for economic management till their reconstruction are operated by OAO “Sakhalin Shipping Company” under the established procedure in order to carry out roll-on/roll-off of railway cars and vehicles to the sea ferries.
1. The launch complex of the 1st stage includes:
- berth approach ramp for motor vehicles;
- 60 meters long and 23 meters wide dry dyke to link the bridge to the coast;
- linkspan bridge of total length of 60 meters (27 meters long coastal bridge structure and 33 meters long offshore bridge structure);
Lifting mechanisms of the linkspan bridge consist of system of intermediate and offshore supports. The supports are bulk concrete, with vertical wells for counterbalances inside.
Towers for hanging span and placement of lifting mechanisms are installed on all supports. Towers of intermediate supports are 2,7 meters high, towers of offshore supports are 3 meters high.
Hanger arrangement has 2 intermediate and 2 offshore counterbalance units. Winches of the lifting mechanism of the sea support are mounted on a separate foundation, which is fixed to the metal constructions of the tower. Belay device serves to keep the sea span structure in the inoperative position in case of brake failure.
2. The launch complex of the 2nd stage includes:
- approach to berth for motor vehicles 30,1 meters long;
- linkspan bridge (sea span structure 42 meters long);
Lifting mechanisms of the linkspan bridge consist of system sea supports. The supports are bulk concrete, inside of which there are vertical wells for placing counterbalances.
Towers on mechanical superstructure for hanging span and placing there lifting mechanisms are installed on the supports. Towers are 3 meters high.
Hanger arrangement has 2 offshore counterbalance units. Winches of the lifting mechanism of the support are mounted on a separate foundation, which is fixed to the metal constructions of the tower. A preventer serves to keep the offshore bridge structure in the inoperative position in case of brake failure.
3. In the inoperative position the passenger ramp has the following dimensions: length along the berth line of the launch complex is 6.8 m, length across the berth line is 5,6 m, height above the pier level is 3,47 m. Boarding bridge width is one meter, boarding bridge deflection in the direction, perpendicular to the berth line, is 3,5 m. Embarkation and disembarkation of passengers to / from sea ferries is carried out with the help of the ramp.