New certificate of compliance of Kerch Strait VTMS received
Upon the results of survey by Rosmorrechflot, FSUE “Rosmorport” has received Certificate No VTS-3/1-3043-2017 of August 23, 2017, a new certificate of the Kerch Strait vessel tracking management system compliance with the requirements to a high-category VTMS set by IMO Resolution A.857(20) and Russia’s Transport Ministry Order No 226 of July 23, 2015.
The total complex of the Kerch Strait VTMS comprises the VTMS center in the seaport of Kavkaz and eight remotely operated radar posts such as Tuzla, Lada-Gelendzhik-Trans, Akhilleon, Taman, Zelensky, Temryuk, Mayak Temryuksky and Fontalovskaya. They are located along the coasts of the Black Sea and the Sea of Azov in the seaports of Kavkaz, Taman and Temryuk.
Earlier, those were separate port vessel tracking management systems in the seaports of Kavkaz, Taman and Temryuk that had formed the regional vessel tracking management system of the Kerch Strait based on information integration and coordinated activities.
Last year FSUE “Rosmorport” took organizational and technical measures to unite all facilities of separate port VTMS into a unified property complex by creating a common VTMS center of the Kerch Strait in the seaport of Kavkaz. The measures are aimed at optimizing the organizational structure of the Branch’s vessel tracking management system and increasing navigation safety and navigation effectiveness in the water area of the Kerch Strait, the water areas of the seaport of Taman, Kavkaz, Temryuk and at the approaches toward them.
By using VTMS of the Kerch Strait vessels being in this area are rendered comprehensive navigation services. VTMS deals with:
- detecting vessels in the VTMS area, establishing contacts with them and receiving data on a vessel;
- giving navigational, operative and other information to vessels on the initiative of VTMS operators or at the request of a vessel;
- providing aid to marine navigation;
- organizing movement of vessels, including planning and establishing regimes of vessel movement in the VTMS area;
- and controlling vessel movement and the position of vessels on anchoring stations and single mooring points.