One of the main activities of the FSUE "Rosmorport" Murmansk Branch is implementation of the federal investment programs, and the capital investment programs of the enterprise, which are aimed at the development of the federal port infrastructure facilities in Murmansk Seaport.
Acting as a client constructor since 2004 the Murmansk Branch implemented the following investment projects to improve the port infrastructure and the quality of services provided to the ship owners, consigners, and other consumers in seaports.
In 2015 in accordance with the permission of the Committee for Property and Land Relations and Civil Building of the Administration of Municipal Entity “Kandalaksha District” dated 02.11.2015 No. 51-RU51503000-03-2015 the Kandalaksha Gulf VTS in Kandalaksha Seaport, which had been constucted earlier, was commissioned. The VTS is designed to enhance the level of navigation safety in the approaches and waters of the seaports of Vitino and Kandalaksha. When the enterprise obtained Rosmorrechflot Certificate No. 16.01867.315 of April 29, 2016 – the certificate of Kandalaksha Gulf VTS compliance with the performance specifications requirements imposed upon VTS Category II Kandalaksha Gulf VTS was put into operation from April 2016.
In 2006 76.4 metres of the coast protection of the passenger area at passenger terminal in Murmansk Seaport were reconstructed. Implementation of the project allowed to extend the quay, and arrange mooring of the Lenin nuclear-powered icebreaker in order to preserve it as Museum of History and Development of Russian and Nuclear-Powered Fleet.
In 2007 an investment project to repurpose berth No. 17 for handling of iron-ore concentrate was completed together with EuroChem MCC, JSC. Completion of the first stage of works to lengthen undercrane rails, construction of railways with switches and bumping posts, construction of an open warehouse and repair dredging of the berth basin created the conditions for handling up to 1.5 mln tons of iron-ore concentrate at berth No. 17 in addition to its moulding – alumina.
In 2008 construction of an automated radio technical post at Cape Set-Navolok was finished. Integration of the new radio post into the Kola Bay VTS helped to provide sustainable control over vessel traffic at recommended waterways in the approach to Kola Bay (19 sea miles to the north from the entrance to Kola Bay), as well as at recommended waterways in the northern, middle and southern bends of the Kola Bay and in the Murmansk Seaport basin.
In 2009 fenders were modernized at berth No. 7 in Murmansk Seaport. As a result, the berth resumed operation with better technical characteristics and the possibility to handle vessels with maximal deadweight of 66.8 thousand tons.
In 2010 the long-distance lines pier of Murmansk Seaport passenger terminal was repaired due to its considerable wear. The implemented technical solutions for pier repairs allowed to normalize the technical condition of the hydraulic engineering structure not changing its passport characteristics, and to improve its operational characteristics.
In 2011 auxiliary berth No. 12 in Murmansk Seaport was modernized. Partial replacement and fitting of berth with 20 extra vertical four-section fenders along 198 meters of the berth was made in order to shut out damage of small-sized vessels and berth structures, as well as to prolong the working life of the facility. причала № 12
In 2012 capital repairs of auxiliary berth No. 16 with installation of fenders were completed. As a result, the berth was fitted with fenders, barrier curb was replaced; concrete iron superstructure was repaired and curb angles was restored; wire duct tiles were changed; projected bottom level was restored and it was cleaned from foreign objects; pile wall was repaired. Those improvements made it possible to handle vessels with the following dimensions: tonnage – 1 200 tons, LOA – 49.8 metres, breadth – 17 metres, cargo draught – 4,93 metres. причала № 16
In 2015 in accordance with decision No. RU77203000 of Rosmorrechflot dated 14.01.2015 the reconstructed long-distance lines pier intended for acceptance and servicing of passenger vessels, auxiliary fleet vessels laying up and servicing was put into operation. According to the results of the reconstruction project implementation the distant lines pier length was increased by 58.6 meters to 206.6 meters and the width was increased by 5.9 meters to 19.6 meters, that will allow to service vessels up to 180.45 meters long, with breadth up to 25.46 meters and loaded draft up 5.59 meters at the distant lines pier. If the results of the modeling of the mooring process at the distant line pier are positive, it is proposed to increase dimensions of vessels that could moor and be serviced at the distant lines pier in future. Besides, within the project implementation, widening of the coastal protection of the passenger area of the seaport of Murmansk by 15, 3 meters was performed in order to strengthen the coast protection from erosion.
At present, within the measures taken to carry out the capital expenditure program the Murmansk Branch realizes and plans to implement the following investment projects in the form of capital investments to develop facilities of the coastal port infrastructure in the seaport of Murmansk:
In Murmansk Seaport
• project for teconstruction of the marine passenger terminal in Murmansk Seaport. The project is aimed at strengthening of the building parts; creation of conditions for servicing people with restricted mobility, of separate service areas for passengers following to the inland lines and international cruise lines; creation of additional space to fit the office of master of the seaport of Murmansk. Implementation of the project will contribute into the impromevent of passenger service at inland ans international lines in Murmansk Seaport and will create conditions for the development of sea cruise tourism in the Murmansk Region.
More information on the project is available in the section “Port Infrastructure facilities”.
• Barents VTMIS project of construction of the Russian Barents VTMIS segment with integration into the Kola Bay VTS. The project is carried out under execution of the Memorandum of Understanding Between Ministry of Transport of Russian Federation and Ministry of Fisheries and Coastal Affairs of Kingdom of Norway dated March 29, 2006. Implementation of the project will allow to minimize risks and to avoid potential increase of sea accidents and pollution of the Barents sea in the areas with difficult navigational conditions in case of increase of the volume of oil and oil products transportation by sea.
The project includes:
a) development of the ship reporting system;
b) creation of AIS regional network (AISNET Kola Bay) ensuring information exchange with Norway National AISNET;
c) modernization (reconstruction) of the Kola Bay VTS
The projected ship reporting system in accordance with Resolution MSC.348(91) “Adoption of a new mandatory ship reporting system (SRS) in the Barents Sea” will operate under the control of the vessel traffic services centers in the seaport of Murmansk (Russia) and the seaport of Vardo (Norway).
At present a specialized organization is drafting project documentation. It has already received a positive review of the state expertize board No. 1275-13/GGE-8357/09 dated 19.12.2013, which includes ecological expertize borard review, issued by the federal sutonomous establishment Glavgosexpertiza Rossii, and also a positive review of the state expertize board checking the veracity of estimation of cost of the capital construction facility No. 1292-13/GGE-8357/10 dated 20.12.2013 issued by Glavgosexpertiza Rossii. In case neceddary finances are allocated, construction and installation works are to start not earlier than in 2020.
• project for the construction of an ecological base in Murmansk Seaport. In the framework of implementation of the investment project, the enterprise is going to construct the following: a berth with the length of 148 metres, depths at berth from 10.5 to 11.30 metres, which will create conditions for safe access, mooring and handling of project vessels with the tonnage of 8 thousand tons, length of 128.2 metres, width of 16.74 metres and loaded draught of 6.5 metres; open areas with the size of 0.74 ha for temporary storage and accumulation of cargoes in the rear of the berth; power supply facilities; an office building for fitting personnel; a technological structure allowing to receive and recycle all types of shipboard waste in the full cycle regime with the project capacity for bilge waters recycling of 62 thousand tons per year, for domestic and sewage waters recycling of 10 thousand tons per year, for oily sludge recycling of 10 thousand tons per year, for domestic waste recycling of 3 thousand tons per year. In accordance with the established procedure the administration of Murmansk held discussions with the population and public organizations on the developed project documentation related to the economic activities. Based on the results of the discussions no remarks and proposals have been made (Record No 1p of June 6, 2012 adopted by the Administration of the city of Murmansk). Pursuant to the requirements of Russian environmental law project documentation has been submitted to the Directorate of Russia’s Federal Supervisory Natural Resources Management Service for the North-Western Federal District for the state environmental impact assessment. Following its results, the expert commission of the state environmental impact assessment has delivered Environmental Seal of Approval No 251 of November 30, 2016. It has been approved by Order No 812-pr issued by the Directorate of Russia’s Federal Supervisory Natural Resources Management Service for the North-Western Federal District December 05, 2016. The project documentation submitted in the prescribed manner for consideration at the FAI “Glavgosexpertiza Rossii” has been returned for revision. In accordance with the comments of the FAI “Glavgosexpertiza Rossii”, the design documentation was finalized and in 2019 submitted for public discussion. Based on the results of the discussions with the population and public organizations, comments and suggestions were not received (protocol of the Murmansk Administration of April 11, 2019). Subject to set procedures finalized project documentation has been submitted has been submitted to Rosprirodnadzor for the repeated state environmental appraisal. Subject to the receipt of positive findings by the state environmental and construction appraisals on project documentation and subject to the release of necessary funds the construction and assembly works are scheduled for the year 2021.
• a reconstruction project of Berth No. 2 in the seaport of Murmansk. This project envisions the reconstruction of Berth No. 2. The reconstruction includes the following operations: to lay engineer routes, carry out dredging operations of the operational water area of Berth No. 2 in an area of 2.28 ha to bring seabed levels to -14.8 meters and cover skips in an area of 10.4 square meters. The implementation of this project allows for creating additional capacities for accommodation, storage and transshipment of coal on Beth No. 2 that sets the stage for re-distributing the total volume of transshipping cargo on Berth No. 4 in the seaport of Murmansk and reconstruct Berth No. 4 in the future. In compliance with the environmental legislation requirements project documentation and the impact assessment on the economic activities have been submitted for public hearings. Based on the results of the hearings (the protocol approved by the chairman of the municipal services committee of the Murmansk administration of February 25, 2013) no remarks have been given and no proposals have been put forward. Project documentation and the results of engineering surveys obtained positive findings by the expert commission of the State Environmental Appraisal of November 10, 2017. The positive findings have been approved by Rosprirodnadzor Order No. 577 of November 21, 2017. Subject to the normal due process project documentation and the results of engineering surveys obtained State Expertise Positive Findings No. 009-14/ГГЭ-8923/04 of January 10, 2014 and Positive Findings No. 009-14/ГГЭ-8923/047-01 of October 30, 2018 related to the cost estimate of the facility. The positive findings have been approved by FAI “Glavgosexpertiza Rossii”. Subject to the normal due process Rosmorrechflot has issued Construction Permit No. 51-RU51320000-ЗД-39/8-2019 of April 26, 2019.
Information on the implementation of the project is available in the section “Facilities of the Port Infrastructure”.
• project for the construction of an automated radio engineering station "Obzor". As part of this project, it is planned to build a steel tower of 25.5 m height in order to accommodate VTMS equipment on it, as well as to install a block container in order to accommodate process equipment. The implementation of the project will allow to ensure radar control over the movement of vessels in the southern part of the Kola Bay, including area near the berths of the seaport of Murmansk and will increase the level of navigation safety in the area of operation of the Kola Bay VTS.
The developed design documentation and the results of engineering surveys are submitted to the State Educational Autonomous Institution "State Expert Administration of the Murmansk Region" for consideration in accordance with established procedure. Following consideration, the design documentation and the results of engineering surveys received a positive expert conclusion No. 51-1-1-3-032070-2019 as of 19.11.2019, as well as a positive expert conclusion for the verification of the reliability of determination of the estimated cost of construction, reconstruction and overhaul of capital construction facilities No. 51-1-0019-20 as of 07.02.2020, approved by the State Educational Autonomous Institution "State Expert Administration of the Murmansk Region". Taking into account the positive expert conclusions received, the Committee for Urban Planning and Territorial Development of the Murmansk Administration issued a construction permit No. 51-RU 51301000-926-2019 as of 01.06.2020. In December 2020, according to the decision of the Committee for Urban Planning and Territorial Development of the Murmansk Administration No. 215 dated 25.12.2020, the period of validity of the previously issued construction permit No. 51-RU 51301000-926-2019 as of 01.06.2020 was extended to 01.01.2022.
• project for the construction of an automated radar post "Ura-guba". The project provides for the construction of an automated radar post, which includes the following facilities: communication tower 30 m high, equipped with a block container of the control room, a block container for technical personnel, 2 block containers with automated diesel power plants, fencing of the territory, and power line. The implementation of the project with its including in the Vessel Traffic System will ensure the safety of navigation in the water area of Ura Bay and on the approaches to it.
The developed design documentation and the assessment of the project’s environmental impact were in due course submitted to public hearings. Bases on the results of the public discussion (the protocol of the Administration of Vidyaevo village of April 19, 2021), the presented documents were approved. Following the requirements of the environmental legislation, the design documentation was submitted for consideration by the state environmental expertise. Being considered, it received a positive conclusion of the state environmental expertise of September 2, 2021, approved by the Rosprirodnadzor Order No. 1186/GEE of September 9, 2021. The design and estimate documentation and the results of engineering surveys, being submitted in the prescribed manner for consideration by the FAI “Glavgosexpertiza Rossii”, received a positive conclusion of the state expertise No. 51-1-1-3-086588-2021 of December 31, 2021 that was approved by the FAI “Glavgosexpertiza Rossii”.
In case of an allocation of the necessary funding and upon receiving a construction permit, the construction and installation work is to start in April 2022.
In Dikson Seaport
• NAVTEX coast station construction project. The project provides for the construction of a coast station with the following facilities: two steel masts with guys 40 m high, a container module for accommodating an automated diesel power plant, a hardware container module for accommodating technical equipment, an operator container module for temporary accommodation of service personnel, a container snowplow module, territory fencing, power line. The NAVTEX coast station Dikson is designed to deliver navigational and meteorological information to vessels in the north-eastern part of the Kara Sea during navigation along the Northern Sea Route and should provide regular transmission of warnings and urgent information to vessels in its area of operation.
The developed design documentation and the assessment of the project’s environmental impact were in due course submitted to public hearings. Based on the results of the public discussion (the protocol of the Administration of the Taimyrsky Dolgano-Nenets Municipal District of January 29, 2021), the submitted documents were approved taking into account the comments and suggestions made. Following the requirements of the environmental legislation, the design documentation was submitted for consideration by the state environmental expertise. Being considered, in received a positive conclusion of the state environmental expertise of May 5, 2021, approved by the Rosprirodnadzor Order No. 497/GEE of May 5, 2021. The design and estimate documentation and the results of engineering surveys, submitted in the prescribed manner for consideration by the FAI “Glavgosexpertiza Rossii”, received a positive conclusion of the examination No. 24-1-1-3-074472-2021 of December 6, 2021 that was approved by the FAI “Glavgosexpertiza Rossii”.
In case of an allocation of the necessary funding and upon receiving a construction permit, the start of construction and installation work is scheduled on May, 2022.