I. Environmental protection during current economic activities
1. Atmospheric air protection
2. Water resources protection
3. Land plots protection
4. Wastes disposal
5. Emergency liquidation
II. Environmental protection during dredging works
III. Environmental protection during construction/reconstruction of port infrastructure facilities
IV. Environmental protection expenses of the Arkhangelsk Branch
V. Prospects of environmental protection activities
Main objectives of the Arkhangelsk Branch in the field of environmental protection are:
- reduction of negative impact on the environment caused in the process of economic activities of the Branch;
- observance of the environmental protection legislation and environment quality normatives;
- production control over the environmental protection activities carried out by the Branch.
The environmental protection activities of the Arkhangelsk Branch are carried out in accordance with the annual plan of environmental protection activities for the Branch, developed and approved in accordance with the Russian Federation Legislation.
In order to ensure environmental activities, there is Labor and Environmental Protection Office in the Arkhangelsk Branch. Its employees deal with issues on organization of control over Branch’s observance of regulations and requirements of the environmental protection legislation of the Russian Federation, and implement activities on production ecological control during performance of the Branch’s statutory activities in the seaports of Arkhangelsk, Naryan-Mar, Onega and Sabetta.
The Arkhangelsk Branch employees engaged in those activities are specially trained in Environmental Protection and Rational Use of the Natural Resources, and have experience in this field of at least three years.
In accordance with the requirements of the environmental legislation of the Russian Federation, objects that have a negative impact on the environment must be registered with the state in the federal state register.
As of 01.01.2020, all 11 areal facilities that are operated by the Arkhangelsk Branch have been put on the state record in the federal state register of facilities. The facilities belong to the III category of facilities that have low environmental impact.
The FSUE “Rosmorport” Arkhangelsk Branch takes the following environmental protection measures during current economic activities.
1. Atmospheric air protection
In order to carry out statutory activities, the Arkhangelsk Branch manages transport means and stationary objects, which are sources of pollution.
In accordance with the requirements of the legislation of the Russian Federation in the field of atmospheric air protection, at present, the branch has developed projects for maximum permissible emissions for all sources of emissions into the atmosphere.
Emissions of pollutants by the FSUE "Rosmorport" Arkhangelsk Branch (in thousand tons)
A significant increase in the emissions of pollutants into the air by the Arkhangelsk Branch in 2019 is due to the commissioning of three objects of negative impact on the environment (Sabetta VTS facilities) in the Yamalo-Nenets Autonomous District, operating year-round on diesel fuel.
All transport and stationary sources of pollution of the Arkhanglesk Branch are regularly maintained by certified specialists. Emission volumes are within the norms set for combustion engines and boiler equipment.
2. Water resources protection
The Arkhangelsk Branch in its current activities uses surface water bodies for placing vessels at berths, carrying out dredging and construction works, as well as for discharging wastewater in the water areas of the seaports of Arkhangelsk, Onega and Sabetta.
In accordance with the water legislation of the Russian Federation the Arkhangelsk Branch in the established order received:
• water license of May 13, 2005 series ARKH No. 00412 license type BRTBV for usage of 6 water sections of the Northern Dvina River, water area of the White Sea basin and its channels Kuznechikha and Maimaksa with the size of 0.2 square kilometres for placement of vessels and berthing constructions, issued by the Dvinsko-Pechorsky Basin Water Department of Rosvodresursy, effective till May 1, 2025;
• water license of March 21, 2006 series ARKH No. 00468 license tupe B2IBV for usage of 5 water sections of the Onega River and the Onega Bay of the White Sea with the total size of 4.1 square kilometres for vessels, berths, dredging, and soil dumps, issued by the Dvinsko-Pechorsky Basin Water Department of Rosvodresursy, effective till April 1, 2026.
Besides, the Arkhangelsk Branch, in accordance with the established procedure, received decisions on granting of the water facility for use:
- decision of 24.09.2018 No. 00-03.02.03.004-M-RSBKh-T-2018-04266/00 on the provision of a section of the water body of the Severnaya Dvina River for use for discharging wastewater from storm sewers located near the territory of berths No. 110, 111 of the Red pier in the seaport of Arkhangelsk, at a distance of 37 km from the mouth, issued by the Dvinsko-Pechorsky Basin Water Department of Rosvodresursy, valid until September 1, 2028;
- solution of 14.08.2020 No. 00-02.02.00.013-M-RBBV-T-2020-03338/00 on the provision of a section of a water body with an area of 0.853 sq. km located in the Sorokskaya Bay of the White Sea for dredging, explosive, drilling and other works related to changes in the bottom and shores of surface water bodies, issued by the Nevsko-Ladoga Basin Water Department of Rosvodresursy, in force until November 30, 2030.
Every quarter of the year the branch submits reports on execution of the plan of water protection and water use activities to the Dvinsko-Pechorskoye Basin Water Department and the Nevsko-Ladoga Water Basin Department of Rosvodresursy.
Following the results of 2019, no cases of pollution of water bodies used by the Arkhangelsk Branch have been recorded.
3. Land plots protection
In order to prevent land pollution and littering the Arkhangelsk Branch:
- regularly cleans territory from garbage;
- keeps waste storage places in condition that meets the requirements of environmental legislation of the Russian Federation;
- disposes waste from its territory, according to contracts agreed with specialized licensed organisations.
As for the territories occupied by the leased facilities, the Arkhangelsk Branch sees that the lessees fulfill their duties on preventing pollution or littering of the used land plots.
4. Wastes disposal
The Arkhangelsk Branch keeps records of volumes of waste produced by the Branch during its activities, maintains supervision over the temporary waste storage places and frequency of waste disposal or recycling.
The Rosprirodnadzor Department for the Arkhangelsk region Order No. 190 of April18, 2016 duly approved waste generation normatives and limits on their placing for the Arkhangelsk Branch Onezhsky Division.
The Rosprirodnadzor Department for the Nenets Autonomous District, in accordance with order No. 215 of September 24, 2018, approved waste generation standards and limits for their disposal in a separate subdivision of Naryan-Mar of the Arkhangelsk Branch No. 14 of September 24, 2018, valid until September 23, 2023.
The draft waste generation standards and limits for their disposal at the location of the Arkhangelsk branch in the city of Arkhangelsk in accordance with the established procedure was approved and, based on the results of consideration by the Rosprirodnadzor Department for the Arkhangelsk region, the standards for waste generation and limits for their disposal were approved by No. 07-01-09/01-201 of 19.11.2018, valid until November 18, 2023.
Most of the waste produced by the Arkhangelsk Branch is of 3, 4 and 5 classes of hazard. However, some types of waste are of 1 and 2 classes of hazard, such as mercury lamps, wasted and out-of-spec luminescent mercury pipes, wasted accumulator sulphur acid, which make not more than 0.0001 % of overall waste produced by the branch.
Corresponding contracts for waste use and neutralization have been concluded with license organizations for disposal of waste generated in the process of the current activities of the Arkhangelsk Branch.
Used mercury lamps, waste lead accumulators and other similar kinds of waste are transmitted to a specialized enterprise for treatment and recycling, while construction waste and household waste are disposed on the landfill of Arkhangelsk.
Dynamic of waste production by the FSUE "Rosmorport" Arkhangelsk Branch (in tons)
5. Emergency liquidation
The Arkhangelsk Branch elaborated, approved and agreed, according to the established procedure, a Plan on Prevention and Liquidation of Emergency Oil and Oil Products Leaks, in order to enable readiness, prompt reaction and organization of liquidation works in the Arkhangelsk branch responsibility coverage zone on its own, and also with the help of specialized emergency divisions on a contract basis.
Trainings on liquidation of emergency oil and oil products leaks liquidation are occasionally conducted in order to make the branch ready to fight emergency leaks and to rehearse the actions of the employees.
In accordance with the requirements of environmental legislation, the Arkhangelsk Branch developed the project documentation "Environmental substantiation of dredging operations to restore the design dimensions of the water area and approach channels in the seaports of Arkhangelsk and Onega and the placement of the dredged bottom soil in underwater dumps". The design documentation has been approved in accordance with the established procedure with the competent state authorities and has a positive conclusion of the state ecological expertise, approved by order of Rosprirodnadzor No. 836 of December 23, 2014.
Within the framework of this project, the Arkhangelsk Branch annually carries out repair dredging works in the water area of the seaport of Arkhangelsk.
At the end of 2019, the volume of dredging works performed by the Arkhangelsk Branch amounted to 0.9 million cubic meters of excavated soil.
The disposal of this soil, dredged during the repair dredging works, is carried out by the Arkhangelsk Branch in underwater dumps No. 150, No. 144A, No. 143A, No. 137, located at the northeastern tip of Okulovskaya Koshka island, and a dump in the area of the former Lesnoy port (river delta of Severnaya Dvina), on the basis of the permission of Rosprirodnadzor No. 32M of 06.04.2015 for burial of the bottom soil extracted during dredging in internal sea waters, valid until November 30, 2024.
In 2020, the Arkhangelsk Branch plans to carry out repair dredging works in the amount of 1.2 million cubic meters of excavated soil.
In order to compensate for damage to aquatic biological resources during repair dredging works in the water areas of the seaports of Arkhangelsk and Onega, the Branch, under an agreement with specialized fish-breeding enterprises of the Arkhangelsk Region and the Republic of Karelia, finances work on the cultivation of young brown trout and salmon, which is subsequently released into the rivers of the White Sea basin.
In the period from 2011 to 2019, the Arkhangelsk Branch spent more than 6 million rubles on the reproduction of young brown trout and salmon, as a result of which almost 45 thousand fry were grown and released into the rivers Onega, Solza, Syuzma and Keret.
In 2019, the Arkhangelsk Branch ensured the release into the Onega River of the White Sea basin of two-year-old Atlantic salmon with an average weight of 15 grams in the amount of more than 2.5 thousand pieces, grown by a specialized fish farm.
In accordance with the requirements of environmental legislation, the Arkhangelsk Branch developed the project documentation "Environmental substantiation of dredging operations to restore the design dimensions of the water area and approach channels in the seaports of Arkhangelsk and Onega and the placement of the dredged bottom soil in underwater dumps". The design documentation has been approved in accordance with the established procedure with the competent state authorities and has a positive conclusion of the state ecological expertise, approved by order of Rosprirodnadzor No. 836 of December 23, 2014. Moreover, the Arkhangelsk Branch has developed the documentation "Project for the performing repair dredging works to restore the design dimensions of shipping facilities in the Belomorsk sea terminal for 2020-2030", which has been approved by the relevant control and supervisory authorities in accordance with the established procedure and has a positive conclusion of the state ecological expertise, approved by order of Rosprirodnadzor No. 768 of July 3, 2020.
Within the framework of these projects, the Arkhangelsk Branch annually carries out repair dredging works in the water area of the seaport of Onega.
In 2019, the volume of dredging works performed by the Arkhangelsk Branch in the seaport of Onega amounted to 32.6 thousand cubic meters of excavated soil.
Disposal of the bottom soil extracted during repair dredging works is carried out by the Arkhangelsk branch:
- in the underwater dump of the Onega Bay of the White Sea near Baklan Island, on the basis of the permission of Rosprirodnadzor No. 33M of April 6, 2015 for disposal of the bottom soil extracted during dredging operations in sea waters, valid until November 30, 2024;
- in the underwater dump No. 141 A at Cape Raznavolok of the Sorokskaya Bay of the White sea near, on the basis of the permission of Rosprirodnadzor No. 214M of August 20, 2020 for disposal of the soil extracted during repair dredging operations in the sea waters of the Russian Federation, in force until November 30, 2024.
In 2020, the Arkhangelsk Branch does not plan to carry out repair dredging works in the seaport of Onega.
Compensation measures for aquatic biological resources during repair dredging works in the water area of the seaport of Onega are planned for the 4th quarter of 2020.
One of the main activities of the Arkhangelsk Branch is implementation of federal investment programs, as well as capital investments of FSUE “Rosmorport”, aimed at development of federal facilities of port infrastructure and fleet in the seaports of Arkhangelsk, Mezen, Naryan-Mar and Onega.
In this direction, the Arkhangelsk Branch implemented several investment projects within construction customer functions performance.
Design documentation for all the projects was developed in strict compliance with normative and requirements of the Russian Federation Legislation in the field of environment protection. Public hearings were held in the established order and positive conclusions of the State Ecological and State Expertise Committees were received.
In the short and medium terms, the Arkhangelsk Branch will continue to implement projects aimed at the development of port infrastructure and fleet.
Currently, the Arkhangelsk Branch is implementing an infrastructure project of the second stage of construction of the facilities of the seaport of Sabetta.
The design documentation on construction of main facilities of the seaport of Sabetta, developed by specialized project organization, including materials of assessment of impact on environment, was approved in accordance with the results of conducted public hearings in the Yamal district (minutes dated 19.11.2013) and in the Tazovsky district of the Yamalo-Nenets Autonomous District (minutes dated 21.11.2013). The design documentation also received positive conclusion of the Expert Commission of the State Ecological Expertise Committee, approved by Rosprirodnadzor Order No. 529 of 22.08.2013, as well as positive conclusion of the State Expertise Committee No. 852-13/GGE-8066/04 of 25.09.2013, approved by FAI “Glavgosekspertiza of Russia”.
In 2014 changes were introduced to the design documentation on construction of main facilities of the seaport of Sabetta, related to:
- correction of constructive solutions planned for construction of ice-protective structures;
- creation of artificial land plot in the seaport, where construction of the technological overpass is planned, which is designed for placing system for loading liquefied natural gas and gas condensate in transport vessels with deadweight up to 100 thousand tons;
- construction division into stages when dredging in the sea and approach canals of the seaport, in order to optimize expenses on their construction by agreeing on terms of commissioning of industrial capacities of power plant under construction for the production of liquefied natural gas and gas condensate.
In the established order, the changed and supplemented design documentation and the results of engineering surveys were submitted to the State Construction Expertise Committee in FAI “Glavgosekspertiza of Russia” for consideration, following the results of which positive conclusion of the State Expertise Committee was received No. 581-14/GGE-8066/04 of 30.04.2014.
At present the following facilities have been constructed and put into operation:
- the root part of the South-Eastern ice protection structure within the boundaries of the artificial land plot;
- deep-water part of the South-Eastern ice protection structure;
- North-Western ice protection structure;
- automated radio technical post No. 1;
- automated radio technical post No. 2;
- automated radio technical post No. 3;
- transmitting center;
- receiving center;
- control and correction station (station of differential corrections GPS + GLONASS);
- open area for aids to navigation service;
- Navigation equipment warehouse.
The following constructed facilities are being prepared for commissioning:
- VTS, GMDSS and seaport administration building;
- closed parking lot building for company cars and boats;
- technical building for aids to navigation;
- front leading mark;
- rear leading mark.
Activities in the field of environment protection, when carrying out construction and installation works, related to construction of coastal facilities in the seaport of Sabetta, are carried out in the following directions:
Activities on protection and rational use of land resources and soil cover:
- maximum reduction of construction and installation works site dimensions;
- arrangement of special concrete pad with installation and fixing of metal containers for collection of household waste and their timely removal;
- collection of domestic waste water in the damp-proof drives with subsequent removal by specialized licensed organizations;
- collection and removal of construction waste in process of its generation carried out by specialized organizations.
Activities on ambient air protection:
- control over operating modes of the process equipment, trucks and cargo handling equipment and engines on vessels;
- consistent implementation of works and organization of the works process in order to avoid idle modes of construction machinery;
- use of fuels with reduced sulfur content;
- control over exact observance of works performance technology.
Activities on water bodies protection:
- operation of a technically perfect construction machinery and vessels;
- implementation of measures excluding ingress of lubricants into water bodies, including during refueling of construction machines and mechanisms;
- water supply of construction site with delivered water.
Activities on collection, use, neutralization, transportation and placing of hazard waste:
- accounting of normative formation of the total amount of waste generated during the construction of the facility;
- accounting and control of collection, conditions of temporary storage, waste transportation, compliance with environmental safety regulations and safety technology for waste handling
- selective waste collection;
- waste to be reused or processed, shall be transferred to specialized enterprises engaged in the processing of waste.
Total expenses of the Arkhangelsk Branch on implementation of activities on the environment protection in 2019, including payments for negative impact on the environment amounted to 9.9 mln rub.
Environmental protection activities expenses of the FSUE “Rosmorport” Arkhangelsk Branch (in million roubles)
The FSUE “Rosmorport” Arkhangelsk Branch is planning to conduct further activities in the field of environmental protection, the main tasks being:
• decrease of negative influence on the environment;
• modernization of equipment used by the branch in order to increase ecological safety;
• energy saving and implementation of energy saving technologies;
• improving ecological management and production ecological supervision.