I. Environmental protection during current economic activities
1. Atmospheric air protection
2. Water resources protection
3. Land plots protection
4. Waste disposition
5. Emergency liquidation
II. Environmental protection during shipboard wastes collection
III. Environmental protection during construction/reconstruction of port infrastructure facilities
IV. Environmental protection during dredging works
V. Environmental protection expenses of the Vanino Branch
VI. Prospects of environmental protection activities
Main objectives of the FSUE “Rosmorport” Vanino Branch in the field of environmental protection are:
- reducing the negative environmental impact that arises in the process of economic activity of the Branch;
- compliance with environmental legislation and environmental quality standards;
- production control over the implementation of environmental protection measures by the Branch.
Environmental protection activities of the Vanino Branch are carried out in accordance with annual environmental protection plans of the Branch, which is developed and approved in accordance with the requirements of the Russian Federation legislation.
In order to ensure environmental protection activities in the staffing table of the Vanino Branch there is a structural subdivision, employees of which deal with the organization issues of control of the Branch’s compliance with the norms and requirements of the Russian legislation in the field of environmental protection, implements measures of industrial environmental monitoring during performance of the the Branch's statutory activities in the seaports of Vanino, De-Kastri, Nikolaevsk-on-Amur and Sovetskaya Gavan.
Employees of the Vanino Branch, engaged in this field of activity, have necessary specialized education in the field of Environmental Protection and Rational Use of Natural Resources and work experience in that field of at least 3 years.
In accordance with the requirements of the environmental legislation of the Russian Federation, objects that have a negative impact on the environment must be put on the government accounting in the federal government register.
As of 01.01.2019, 3 infrastructure facilities that are operated by the Vanino branch have been put on the government accounting in the federal government register of objects. The facilities belong to the II category of objects that have a moderate negative impact on the environment.
The FSUE “Rosmorport” Vanino Branch takes the following environmental protection measures during current economic activities.
1. Atmospheric air protection
Stationary air pollution sources operated by the Vanino Branch in the course of its economic activity are heating systems (boilers) and vessels boilers used for heating the Branch's premises.
In order to observe restrictions on norms of emitting harmful substances into the atmosphere when operating the equipment, the Vanino Branch conducts its routine inspections and periodic repairs.
On the basis of the project of standards for maximum permissible emissions of pollutants developed by the Vanino Branch, in the prescribed order, the Rosprirodnadzor Department for the Far Eastern Federal District issued permission No. 58/15 dated 27.05.2015 for the emission of harmful (polluting) substances into the air (with the exception of radioactive substances), valid until April 9, 2020, to the Vanino Branch.
Change dynamics of the Vanino Branch emissions of pollutants
In accordance with the water legislation of the Russian Federation, the Vanino branch received a decision No. 00-20.04.00.001-M-RPBK-T-2018-01914/00 of June 20, 2018 for the use of a water body with an area of 0.49 sq. km located on the northern shore of Muchke Bay in the seaport of Vanino, the Tatar Strait of the Sea of Japan, for the construction and reconstruction of hydraulic structures, issued by the Amur Basin Water Authority of the Federal Agency for Water Resources (Rosvodresursy), valid until June 5, 2021.
Under the terms of water use, the Vanino Branch conducts periodic monitoring of the state of the water body, which had been assigned to the Branch for use. Monitoring is carried out during dredging operations in accordance with the program approved by the Amur Basin Water Department of Rosvodresyrsy. To carry out the works, the Vanino Branch brings in on a competitive basis specialized accredited organizations, which have necessary experience, material and technical basis and a license for this activity. Data of analytic monitoring and reports on the implementation of water conservation measures are quarterly and annually submitted to the Department of Water Resources for the Khabarovsk Territory of Rosvodresyrsy and Amur Basin Water Territorial Department of Federal Agency for Fishery (Rosrybolovstvo).
According to the results of 2018, no pollution of the water body used by the Vanino branch was detected.
All Branch’s vessels are equipped with reservoirs for collection of solid waste and operational waste, tanks and cisterns for storing oily and household water treatment and devices for its subsequent transmission for treatment and disposal, as well as oil sorbent for the prevention of marine pollution. Periodic checks of knowledge of the MARPOL 73/78 Convention rules are carried out with the crews of vessels. Vanino Branch carries out permanent accounting and control of delivery of bilge water and ship waste to receiving port facilities, in order to prevent their discharge into sea.
3. Land plots protection
The Vanino Branch maintains production control over the leased land plots to prevent littering or pollution of the territory. Hazardous wastes are put into specially equipped temporary storage sites, before being transported to disposition. The Branch brings in specialized organizations to perform systematic waste disposal and territory cleaning. Every year the Vanino Branch employees conduct volunteer clean-ups of the territories occupied by the Branch's facilities.
4. Waste disposition
The Vanino Branch keeps permanent record of volume of waste generated in the process of current economic activities, monitoring of places of temporary storage, frequency of their removal.
In the established order, on the basis of the developed projects, decision of the Rosprirodnadzor Department for the Far Eastern Federal District No. 164 dated 26.12.2017 approved standards of waste generation and limits on their placing for the Vanino Branch.
The majority of production and consumption waste generated in the Vanino Branch refer to 3-5 hazard classes. The proportion of waste of 1-2 hazard classes (mercury lamps and spent batteries) in the total volume of waste of the Vanino Branch is 1.1% in 2018.
For the purposes of export and disposal of waste from its territory, in the established order, the Vanino Branch signed contracts with specialized licensed enterprises for collection, transportation and placing of all types of waste of the Branch.
In particular, the waste of the first and second hazard classes on a contractual basis are sent for disposal to specialized licensed enterprises. The third hazard classes waste (various oils, bilge and oily waters resulting from the operation of vessels and vessels of the Branch) is also sent to specialized enterprises for recycling. Municipal solid waste is transported to the municipal urban landfills, and waste and fecal waters in accordance with the provisions of water and nature protection legislation are disposed outside the 12-mile maritime zone.
Change dynamics of the Vanino Branch waste production volumes
The increase in waste volumes of the Vanino branch in 2018 is associated with the transfer to the disposal of a large number of used car tires accumulated in the branch.
5. Emergency liquidation
As the Vanino Branch possesses harbor vessels and facilities for recycling and disposal of wastes of 1-5 class of hazards , a Plan on Prevention and Liquidation of Emergency Oil and Oil Products Leaks was elaborated and approved, in order to enable readiness, prompt reaction and organization of liquidation works in the coverage zone of the plan (Vanino Bay and its approaches).
Trainings on liquidation of emergency oil and oil products leaks liquidation are occasionally conducted in order to make the branch ready to fight emergency leaks and to rehearse the actions of the employees. If necessary, the Vanino Branch vessels could be used for oil and oil products leaks liquidation from the facilities and vessels of other organizations in the water areas of the Vanino Bay and the Sovetskaya Gavan Bay.
The Vanino Branch renders services on collection and transportation of shipboard wastes. Collection of bilge waters and sewage, and solid domestic wastes from vessels is carried out by the Vanino Branch with the help of an oil garbage disposal vessel 26 and a bilge-water removing vessel Kopi according to the requirements of MARPOL 73/78.
Activities for the collection and transportation of vessel-generated waste are carried out by the Vanino Branch in accordance with a license for carrying out activities for collection, transportation, processing, recycling, neutralization and disposal of I-IV hazard classes waste No. 077216 dated 19.04.2016, issued by the Rosprirodnadzor Department of the Central Federal District.
The Vanino Branch submits the collected shipboard wastes for their further disposal according to contracts made with the specialized licensed organizations.
Dry solid consumption wastes collected from vessels are placed in special metal containers and then transported to the municipal landfill of consumption waste. Waste and oily waters are collected in hermetic cisterns of a specialized vessel, and then are sent to a specialized licensed organization for subsequent purification and discharge into the sewage system in the prescribed manner.
The staff of the Vanino Branch includes specialists on the work with shipboard wastes trained under the program "Providing ecological safety while working with hazardous wastes".
Diagram of the sewage collected from vessels by the Vanino Branch
Diagram of the bilge waters collected from vessels by the Vanino Branch
Diagram of the waste collected from vessels by the Vanino Branch
In this direction, the Vanino Branch implemented several investment projects within performance of construction customer functions. The project documentation for all facilities was developed in strict accordance with the standards and requirements of the Russian Federation in the field of environmental protection legislation. Public hearings were held in accordance with established procedure and positive conclusions of the State and State Ecological Expertise Committees were received.
Currently, the Vanino Branch has no capital investment projects for port infrastructure facilities development, which are on the stage of construction and installation works, but in the short and medium terms the Branch plans to implement several projects of capital investments in the seaport of Vanino. In particular:
- project of reconstruction of “Vanino-Kholmsk” road-railway ferry complex coastal facilities in the seaport of Vanino. In accordance with the requirements of the environmental legislation of the Russian Federation, the project organization arranged public hearings for discussion of the project, including the materials on environmental impact. As a result of the discussions, the submitted materials received approval (minutes of public hearings of March 15, 2016, approved by the Head of Vanino Municipal District). According to the established procedure, the drafted project documentation was submitted to the State Ecological Expertise, and received a positive conclusion of the State Ecological Expertise Board of September 8, 2016 approved by Order of Directorate of Rosprirodnadzor in the Far-Eastern Federal District No. 531 of September 9, 2016 stating its compliance to the requirements of the environmental protection legislation of the Russian Federation, as well as instructive and methodic documents in the field of environmental protection. Project documentation and the results of engineering survey submitted to FAI “Glavgosexpertiza of Russia” have been returned for finalization. At present, the updated project documentation and the results of engineering survey due to the expiration of the positive conclusion of the state environmental expertise are being prepared for re-submission to Rosprirodnadzor. In case positive conclusion of the State Expertise Boards is received, and necessary finances are allocated, the construction and installation works are to start in 2022.
As part of the federal program “Development of the Russian Transport System” construction of a transport loading and unloading complex on the northern shore of the Muchke Bay in the seaport of Vanino for handling coal is under construction in the framework of a joint investment project with VaninoTransUgol, LLC. As to the enterprise's obligations, the investment project envisages dredging works in the operational waters of berths No. 1 and No. 2 in the seaport of Vanino in 2 stages: at the first stage, in the area of 28.7 hectares with bringing the seabed level to -19.3 meters, and at the second stage, in the area of 33.7 hectares with bringing the seabed level to -21.2 meters, in order to make navigation depths safe for approach and mooring of SN-163, SN-115, SN-70 and SN-40 design vessels. Besides, the enterprise is going to arrange anchorage with the area of 10.9 square kilometers and seabed level of -21 ~ -30 meters to ensure safe mooring of vessels, and install a light at the pier and 6 beacon buoys.
For the period of the relevant dredging, the Vanino branch received the decision of the Amur Basin Water Administration of Rosvodresursy No. 00-20.04.00.001-M-RPBK-T-2018-01914/00 of June 20, 2018, valid until June 05, 2021, on the provision of a water area of Muchke Bay of the Tatar Strait in the water area of the seaport of Vanino for use in order to conduct dredging on it.
Pursuant to design decisions all soil raised during dredging operations is stored ashore for its further use in order to create and plan a design area of the sea terminal. For this purpose, a special site (a depositing site) has been developed in a railway loop in the western part of the sea terminal. The soil has been placed ashore for further remediation by bringing top soil and bedding out perennial grasses.
The water containing in raised soil (pulp) is thrown back to the sea through undergoing preliminary treatment to prevent the marine environment from darkening. In order to clarify the water thrown from the depositing site a sediment pond has been formed up where primary sedimentation of suspended particulate matters takes place.
The water is thrown from the sediment pond by using downshafts to a secondary sediment pond for additional water clarification where a three-section launder has been installed. The launder carries out the water to sea by pipes through discharge facilities under railways.
In order to catch foam forming in the process of decomposition, the Bs-10/200 boom is used. It is installed at water boxes and prevent the foam from penetrating into the secondary sediment pond.
While carrying out dredging operations the Vanino Branch makes permanent environmental monitoring of a water facility and its impact on bioresources to assess the impact of dredging operations on the water environment.
The monitoring is made under a program approved by the FSUE “Rosmorport” Vanino Branch by involving specialized organizations on a contractual basis. The measurements of the marine environment state are made before starting, producing and ending the operations. This will make it possible to control the impact of dredging operations on the environment.
The results of environmental monitoring submitted to the Amur Basin Directorate of the Federal Water Resources Agency every quarter prove that the impact given on the hydrochemical composition of water facilities during dredging operations is admissible and does not exceed the existing background level.
During dredging operations, the branch takes measures to protect water facilities, for example:
- it uses technically sound dredgers with regulated fuel injection equipment;
- the operations are carried out within the strict limits of an allotted water area;
- the leakage of shore pipes, including in a joint of a dredger and a shore pipe is excluded while carrying out dredging operations.
In 2019 The Vanino Branch released over four millions of young keta salmon with the weight of over 1.1 grams to Tikhoye Lake located in the Sovetsky-Gavansky district, Khabarovsk Territory to compensate damage caused to water bioresources during dredging operations. The Vanino Branch spent about 21.9 million Rubles to this end.
The Vanino Branch is planned to implement several investment projects in the near-term outlook and the midterm. The projects are aimed at building underwater hydraulic facilities and carrying out dredging operations. Particularly,
- a project for building an alumina ore transshipping terminal in the seaport of Vanino under a joint investment project with Prichal, LLC. Under the investment project, the enterprise is planning to carry out dredging operations in the operational water area of the seaport of Vanino over an area of 15 ha with bringing the bottom’s marks to -13.6 meters for navigational depths to ensure safe approach and mooring of vessels with the deadweight of 35.000-40.000 tons, i.e. the SN-163, the SN-115, the SN-70 and the SN-40 (up to 292 meters in length, up to 45 meters in breadth and up to 17.1 meters in load draught) and install two marine lights (the Kolonna type) on berth No. 2, replace a marine light on pier No. 3 and assemble a temporary marine light on pier No. 1. The implementation of the project will make it possible to create a modern image of the terminal, which will transship coal in the amount of 1.5 million tons at the first stage. Finally, the terminal will be able to transship coal in the volume of 3 million tons. According to the established procedure, the project organization held several hearings to discuss materials of the project, including materials related to assessing the impact on the environment. Based on the results of the hearing (the protocol of October 17, 2017 endorsed by the head of the administration of the Vanino Municipal District and the protocol of July 3, 2018 endorsed by the acting head of the administration of the Vanino Municipal District) the materials on the assessment of the impact on the environment have been approved. At present, the project documentation and the results of engineering findings are considered by state expert commissions according to the established procedure. Subject to obtaining positive findings by state expert reviews and allocating necessary funding the construction and installation activities are scheduled for the third quarter of 2020.
The total expense of the Vanino Branch on implementation of environmental protection measures in 2018 made up more than 24.6 million roubles, including payments for negative influence on the environment.
Dynamics of the Vanino Branch expenses on environmental protection measures
The main tasks of the branch in the field of environmental protection for the nearest future are:
• decrease of negative influence on the environment due to modernization of equipment used by the branch;
• increasing supervision after all environmental protection activities of the Vanino Branch;
• implementation of modern energy and resource saving technologies.