I. Environmental protection during current economic activities
1. Atmospheric air protection
2. Water resources protection
3. Land plots protection
4. Waste disposition
5. Emergency liquidation
II. Environmental protection during shipboard wastes collection
III. Environmental protection during construction/reconstruction of port infrastructure facilities
IV. Environmental protection during dredging works
V. Environmental protection expenses of the Vanino Branch
VI. Prospects of environmental protection activities
Main objectives of the FSUE “Rosmorport” Vanino Branch in the field of environmental protection are:
- reducing the negative environmental impact that arises in the process of economic activity of the Branch;
- compliance with environmental legislation and environmental quality standards;
- production control over the implementation of environmental protection measures by the Branch.
Environmental protection activities of the Vanino Branch are carried out in accordance with annual environmental protection plans of the Branch, which is developed and approved in accordance with the requirements of the Russian Federation legislation.
In order to ensure environmental protection activities in the staffing table of the Vanino Branch there is a structural subdivision, employees of which deal with the organization issues of control of the Branch’s compliance with the norms and requirements of the Russian legislation in the field of environmental protection, implements measures of industrial environmental monitoring during performance of the the Branch's statutory activities in the seaports of Vanino, De-Kastri, Nikolaevsk-on-Amur and Sovetskaya Gavan.
Employees of the Vanino Branch, engaged in this field of activity, have necessary specialized education in the field of Environmental Protection and Rational Use of Natural Resources and work experience in that field of at least 3 years.
The FSUE “Rosmorport” Vanino Branch takes the following environmental protection measures during current economic activities.
1. Atmospheric air protection
Stationary air pollution sources operated by the Vanino Branch in the course of its economic activity are heating systems (boilers) and vessels boilers used for heating the Branch's premises.
In order to observe restrictions on norms of emitting harmful substances into the atmosphere when operating the equipment, the Vanino Branch conducts its routine inspections and periodic repairs.
On the basis of the project of standards for maximum permissible emissions of pollutants developed by the Vanino Branch, in the prescribed order, the Rosprirodnadzor Department for the Far Eastern Federal District issued permission No. 58/15 dated 27.05.2015 for the emission of harmful (polluting) substances into the air (with the exception of radioactive substances) to the Vanino Branch.
Change dynamics of the Vanino Branch emissions of pollutants
Increase in emissions of harmful substances into the atmosphere in 2016 by the Vanino Branch is caused by unfavorable weather conditions (low temperatures during the winter 2015-2016), which required to consume more fuel at the heating boilers of the Branch. Besides, increasing the scope of services rendered by the Vanino Branch in the seaports of Khabarovsk Territory led to the necessity to increase the work time of the service auxiliary vessels, which have diesel engines being another source of atmospheric pollution.
In accordance with the water legislation of the Russian Federation, the Vanino Branch received permission No. 00-20.04.00.001-М-RBBK-Т-2016-01523/00 dated 30.06.2016 for the use of water body with area 0.51 km2 located in the Tatar Strait of the Japan Sea, between the Putiatina Cape and Zelenyi (Green) Cape, for the disposal of soil excavated during dredging, issues by the Amur Basin Water Department of Rosvodresursy, valid until March 27, 2018.
Under the terms of water use, the Vanino Branch conducts periodic monitoring of the state of the water body, which had been assigned to the Branch for use. Monitoring is carried out during dredging operations in accordance with the program approved by the Amur Basin Water Department of Rosvodresyrsy. To carry out the works, the Vanino Branch attracts specialized accredited organizations on a competitive basis, which have necessary experience, material and technical basis and a license for this activity. Data of analytic monitoring and reports on the implementation of water conservation measures are quarterly and annually submitted to the Department of Water Resources for the Khabarovsk Territory of Rosvodresyrsy and Amur Basin Water Territorial Department of Federal Agency for Fishery (Rosrybolovstvo).
All Branch’s vessels are equipped with reservoirs for collection of solid waste and operational waste, tanks and cisterns for storing oily and household water treatment and devices for its subsequent transmission for treatment and disposal, as well as oil sorbent for the prevention of marine pollution. Periodic checks of knowledge of the MARPOL 73/78 Convention rules are carried out with the crews of vessels. Vanino Branch carries out permanent accounting and control of delivery of bilge water and ship waste to receiving port facilities, in order to prevent their discharge into sea.
3. Land plots protection
The Vanino Branch maintains production control over the leased land plots to prevent littering or pollution of the territory. Hazardous wastes are put into specially equipped temporary storage sites, before being transported to disposition. The Branch attracts specialized organizations to perform systematic waste disposal and territory cleaning. Every year the Vanino Branch employees conduct volunteer clean-ups of the territories occupied by the Branch's facilities.
4. Waste disposition
The Vanino Branch keeps permanent record of volume of waste generated in the process of current economic activities, monitoring of places of temporary storage, frequency of their removal.
In the established order, on the basis of the developed project, decision of the Rosprirodnadzor Department for the Far Eastern Federal District No. 121 dated 01.04.2013 approved standards of waste generation and limits on their placing for the Vanino Branch.
The majority of production and consumption waste generated in the Vanino Branch refer to 3-5 hazard classes. The proportion of waste of 1-2 hazard classes (mercury lamps and spent batteries) in the total volume of waste of the Vanino Branch is 0.4% in 2016.
For the purposes of export and disposal of waste from its territory, in the established order, the Vanino Branch signed contracts with specialized licensed enterprises for collection, transportation and placing of all types of waste of the Branch.
In particular, the waste of the first and second hazard classes on a contractual basis are sent for disposal to specialized licensed enterprises. The third hazard classes waste (various oils, bilge and oily waters resulting from the operation of vessels and vessels of the Branch) is also sent to specialized enterprises for recycling. Municipal solid waste is transported to the municipal urban landfills, and waste and fecal waters in accordance with the provisions of water and nature protection legislation are disposed outside the 12-mile maritime zone.
Change dynamics of the Vanino Branch waste production volumes
5. Emergency liquidation
As the Vanino Branch possesses harbor vessels and facilities for recycling and disposal of wastes of 1-5 class of hazards , a Plan on Prevention and Liquidation of Emergency Oil and Oil Products Leaks was elaborated and approved, in order to enable readiness, prompt reaction and organization of liquidation works in the coverage zone of the plan (Vanino Bay and its approaches).
Trainings on liquidation of emergency oil and oil products leaks liquidation are occasionally conducted in order to make the branch ready to fight emergency leaks and to rehearse the actions of the employees. If necessary, the Vanino Branch vessels could be used for oil and oil products leaks liquidation from the facilities and vessels of other organizations in the water areas of the Vanino Bay and the Sovetskaya Gavan Bay.
The Vanino Branch renders services on collection and transportation of shipboard wastes. Collection of bilge waters and sewage, and solid domestic wastes from vessels is carried out by the Vanino Branch with the help of an oil waste collecting ship Bolshoy and a bilge-water removing ship Kopi according to the requirements of MARPOL 73/78.
Activities for the collection and transportation of ship-generated waste are carried out by the Vanino Branch in accordance with a license for carrying out activities for collection, transportation, processing, recycling, neutralization and disposal of I-IV hazard classes waste No. 077216 dated 19.04.2016, issued by the Rosprirodnadzor Department of the Central Federal District.
The Vanino Branch submits the collected shipboard wastes for their further disposal according to contracts made with the specialized licensed organizations.
Dry municipal solid wastes collected from vessels are placed in special metal containers and then transported to the municipal landfill of municipal waste. Waste and oily waters are collected in hermetic cisterns of a specialized vessel, and then are sent to a specialized licensed organization for subsequent purification and discharge into the sewage system in the prescribed manner.
The staff of the Vanino Branch includes employees trained in providing ecological safety when working with hazardous wastes, certified in the Far East Department of the Russian Technical Supervision Service.
Diagram of the sewage collected from vessels by the Vanino Branch
Diagram of the bilge waters collected from vessels by the Vanino Branch
Diagram of the waste collected from vessels by the Vanino Branch
In this direction, the Vanino Branch implemented several investment projects within performance of construction customer functions. The project documentation for all facilities was developed in strict accordance with the standards and requirements of the Russian Federation in the field of environmental protection legislation. Public hearings were held in accordance with established procedure and positive conclusions of the State and State Ecological Expertise Committees were received.
Currently, the Vanino Branch has no capital investment projects for port infrastructure facilities development, which are on the stage of construction and installation works, but in the short and medium terms the Branch plans to implement several projects of capital investments in the seaport of Vanino. In particular:
- project of reconstruction of Berths No. 5, 6 and pier No. 1 intended for general cargo handling, the reason of which is a significant deterioration of said berthing hydraulic structures. The reconstruction project is supposed to increase the capacity of berths No. 5, 6 for cargo handling up to 1 million tons per year, and pier No. 1 – up to 200 thousand tons per year. Servicing of vessels 185.5 meters long, draft up to 10.1 meters and deadweight up to 25 thousand tons will be possible at berths No. 5, and vessels with a length 130.3 meters, draft 7.33 meters and deadweight 6.7 ths. tons will be served at pier No. 1. The project envisages equipping berths with modular type treatment plants for cleaning of collected and retracted rain and watering drain in order to prevent their flowing into the marine environment. Currently, the developed design documentation in the prescribed manner received positive conclusion of the State Ecological Expertise Committee, approved by the Far Eastern Federal District Department of Rosprirodnadzor Order No. 202 dated 23.12.2010, and the State Expertise Committee Conclusion No.1302-10/ HGE -6244/04 dated 23.12.2010 approved by FSI “Glavgosekspertiza of Russia”. In accordance with Federal Law No. 155-FZ dated 31.07.1998 requirements, in order to observe requirements when conduction dredging during reconstruction of berths No. 5, 6 and pier No. 1 in the seaport of Vanino, the Vanino Branch received permission No. 42M for disposal of bottom soil in the area of underwater dumping No. 154 located in the Tatar Strait between the Putiatina Cape and Zelenyi (Green) Cape, 200 meters off the coastline.
Start of construction and installation works, in case of allocation of federal budget funds investment required for the project implementation is scheduled for 2017.
- project of reconstruction of Berth No. 8 intended for refrigerated and general cargo handling, the reason of which is its significant deterioration. The reconstruction project envisages increasing berth capacity to handling performance of 120 thousand tons of refrigerated cargo and 200 thousand tons of general cargo per year. Handling of vessels of “Sibir” or “Komsomolets Primorya” types with length up to 153 meters and draft with cargo up to 7.96 meters will be possible at the berth. Currently, the developed design documentation in the prescribed manner received positive conclusions of the State Ecological Expertise Committee, approved by the Far Eastern Federal District Department of Rosprirodnadzor Order No. 203 dated 27.03.2013, and the State Expertise Committee Conclusion No. 131-09 /HGE-0561/05 dated 10.06.2009 approved by FSI “Glavgosekspertiza of Russia” (the Khabarovsk Branch). Start of construction and installation works, in case of allocation of federal budget funds investment required for the project implementation is scheduled for 2017.
- project for construction of a transport loading and unloading complex on the northern shore of the Muchke Bay for handling coal in the framework of a joint investment project with OOO Sakha (Yakut) Transport Company (a limited liability company). In accordance with the established procedure, the project organization held public hearings to discuss prohect materials including the materials for assessment of environmental impact. As a result of the discussions, the submitted materials were approved taking into account the remarks and suggestions of the citizens (minutes of public hearings of 10.01.2014 approved by Head of the Vanino Municipal District). The project documentation, which was amended according to the results of the public hearings, was submitted to the State Ecologial Expertise Board, and received its positive conclusion of 03.06.2014 approved by Order of Rosprirodnadzor No. 337 of 05.06.2014 stating its compliance to the environmental requirements set by the legislation of the Russian Federation in the filed of environmental protection. The project documentation and the results of the engineering findings submitted to FSI “Glavgosekspertiza of Russia” have also received a positive conclusion of the State Expertise Board No. 1701-14/GGE-8952/04 of 30.12.2014 approved by FSI “Glavgosekspertiza of Russia”.
In case necessary finances are allocated, the construction and installation works at the enterprise's facilities are to start in 2018.
The Vanino Branch conducts dredging works in the seaport of Vanino according to the approved technical task on conducting dredging repair works with the usage of specialized dredging vessel named Akvamarin. The dredging works are conducted in order to provide navigation safety and maintain the announced depths in the water area of the seaport in Vanino Bay.
Terms of performance of maintenance dredging are planned in order to minimize the negative impact on the marine aquatic organisms in the Vanino Bay, control over which is carried out by the Amur Territorial Department of Rosrybolovstvo.
Soil excavated when dredging is placed in the area of underwater dumping No. 154 located in the Tatar Strait water area of Japan Sea between the Putiatina Cape and Zelenyi (Green) Cape. In accordance with the water legislation of the Russian Federation, for these purposes the Vanino Branch received permission on provision of the said water body for use for dredging related to changes in bottom and coasts of the water body No. 00-20.04.00.001-М-РББК-Т-2016-01523/00 of 30.06.2016, issued by the Amur Basin Water Department of Rosvodresyrsy, valid until March 27, 2018. Before the start of performing maintenance dredging, in the established order, the Vanino Branch is going to receive permits for dumping of the bottom soil excavated during dredging in the internal sea waters.
In order to compensate the negative influence on water biological resources and their environment, and also to conduct fish stock restoration aimed at reproduction and accommodation of water biological resources during dredging repair works, the Vanino Branch makes compensation payments according to the Branch's program on compensation measures for restroration of water biological resources in the water fishing facilitie in the seaport of Vanino, approved by the Amur Territorial Department of the Russian Federal Fisheries Agency.
In particular, during the period of 2010 to 2014, the Branch spent 460 thousand rub. for this purpose. In 2015-2016, the Vanino Branch did not carry out dredging and no compensation payments in this regard was made.
The total expense of the Vanino Branch on implementation of environmental protection measures in 2016 made up more than 21.3 million roubles, including payments for negative influence on the environment.
Dynamics of the Vanino Branch expenses on environmental protection measures
The FSUE “Rosmorport” Vanino Branch is planning to boost its activities in the field of environmental protection. The main tasks of the branch in the field of environmental protection for the nearest future will be:
• decrease of negative influence on the environment due to modernization of equipment used by the branch;
• increasing supervision after all environmental protection activities of the Vanino Branch;
• implementation of modern energy and resource saving technologies.