Main objectives of the FSUE “Rosmorport” Murmansk Branch in the field of environmental protection are:
- reducing the negative environmental impact that arises in process of economic activity of the branch;
- compliance with environmental protection legislation and environmental quality standards;
- production control over the implementation of environmental protection measures by the branch.
Environmental protection activities of the Murmansk Basin Branch are carried out in accordance with annual environmental protection plans for directorate and the branch as a whole, developed and approved in accordance with the requirements of the Russian Federation legislation.
In order to ensure environmental protection activities there is an employee in the Murmansk Branch who deals with the organization of control of the Branch’s compliance with norms and requirements of the Russian legislation in the field of environmental protection, implements measures of industrial environmental monitoring in the implementation of the statutory forms of the branch activity in the seaports of Dikson, Dudinka, Kandalaksha, Murmansk, Varandey, and Vitino.
The Branch's employee engaged in this field of activity has necessary specialized education, and has been trained in refresher courses on the program “Ensuring environmental safety by heads and specialists of general business management systems” and has experience in this field of more than 30 years.
According to established procedure, the management of the Murmansk Branch underwent training under the program “Ensuring Environmental Security by Heads and Specialists of General Economic Management Systems”. Managers of structural units underwent training under the program “Ensuring Environmental Security for Class I-IV Hazardous Waste Management” by obtaining certificates.
While the Murmansk Branch is implementing economic activities, environmental protection measures are taken in the following areas:
To meet its production objectives, the Murmansk Branch manages necessary fleet of vehicles, auxiliary fleet vessels. Operation of these vehicles and watercraft forms emissions of pollutants into the atmosphere.
The main organized stationary source of pollutant emissions is the Branch's garage, which serves passenger transport of the enterprise. Pollutant emissions from vehicles of internal combustion engines are released into the atmosphere through suction mechanical plants (fans).
Pursuant to the requirements of Russian environmental legislation the Murmansk Branch worked out a project of maximum allowable emission norms for the Murmansk Branch instead of the old one. According to the established procedure, the project has been submitted for approval to the Federal Supervisory Natural Resources Management Service Directorate for Murmansk Region.
The FSUE “Rosmorport” Murmansk Branch Harmful (Pollutant) Emissions Dynamics
According to established order, the Murmansk Branch formed and approved plans for schedules of production control over air pollution and noise measurement control. Measurement, analysis and laboratory investigations are carried out with the assistance of specialized certified organizations. The results of the measurements indicate the compliance of level of emissions of hazardous substances from transport means and watercraft with operating regulations.
Pursuant to the maximum permissible discharge norms, due to accepting new facilities on an account and changing the motor vehicle fleet the Murmansk Branch has concluded a contract with a specialized organization to carry out operations aimed at making corrections to the inventory of atmospheric air pollution sources of the branch. Under the above-said contract, now data on emission points is collecting.
In order to minimize harmful effects of mobile sources (vessels, vehicles) on the ambient air, the Murmansk Branch carries out the following activities:
- during stay at berth vessels are connected to shore power supply;
- all vehicles are regularly maintained by certified specialists;
- certified fuel, that meets the environmental requirements and can reduce ingredient air, is used.
As compared with the previous periods hazardous substances (pollutants) emissions in 2018 increased due to the branch’s inventory of atmospheric air pollution sources located in the seaports of Kandalaksha and Vitino.
In the process of its economic activities, the Murmansk Branch uses water bodies located in the seaport of Murmansk water area for placing the Branch vessels.
In accordance with the requirements of the water legislation of the Russian Federation this type of water use does not require conclusion of water use contracts or decision on provision of water bodies for use.
Current use of water bodies by the Murmansk Branch is carried out in strict compliance with the environmental requirements, excluding the possibility of contamination of water objects surface by the Branch vessels.
Within carrying out necessary activities for the protection of used water bodies in the Murmansk Branch, constant monitoring of compliance with the requirements for the protection of water bodies from contamination during operation of vessels of the Murmansk Branch is performed. All branch vessels are equipped with tanks for collection of household and food waste, tanks for storage of oily and domestic waters.
Following results of 2018, no contamination of the water bodies used by the Murmansk Branch has been recorded.
In order to prevent pollution, littering and fouling of territory, the Murmansk Branch carries out:
- planned cleaning of territory from rubbish and waste;
- maintenance of places of temporary storage in condition, that meets the requirements of environmental protection legislation of the Russian Federation;
- timely removal of waste from the territory of the Murmansk Branch in accordance with the contracts concluded with specialized licensed organizations.
Regarding the Branch immovable property facilities territories leased to third parties, the Murmansk Branch carries out systematic monitoring of the implementation by lessees of their obligations on prevention of littering or pollution of the used land plots.
The Murmansk Branch keeps permanent record of volume of different types of waste generated in the process of current economic activities, monitors the places of their temporary storage, and frequency of their removal for reprocessing or recycling.
In accordance with the requirements of the environmental legislation of the Russian Federation, the Directorate of Rosprirodnadzor in the Murmansk Region by Order No. 1121 of 28.09.2016 approved the normatives of waste production and limits for their disposal, which had been drafted by the Murmansk Branch, effective till September 28, 2021.
The majority of production and consumption waste generated in the Murmansk Branch, are related to the IV and V classes of hazard. The proportion of waste of the I and II classes of hazard, such as waste fluorescent and mercury vapor lamps, batteries, used oil, oily rags and filters is 0.12% of the total volume of waste of the branch.
For disposal of waste generated in the process of current economic activities of the Branch, corresponding contracts on their collection, neutralization and disposal have been concluded with specialized licensed organizations. In particular, the I and II hazard classes waste is transferred to specialized organization for neutralization and processing. The third hazard class waste, such as waste oils, cleaning material, sludge from cleaning pipelines and tanks, slag and dust from combustion plants, is also sent to specialized organizations for use as secondary resources in economic turnover, as well as disposal and recycling. Solid municipal waste is transferred to municipal landfills for disposal, waste and fecal waters flow into the city sewer system. Municipal solid waste is transferred to specialized organizations for subsequent disposal on city garbage landfill, and waste and fecal waters from vessels are transferred to licensed organizations performing collection of waste from vessels in the seaport of Murmansk, for their transportation and transfer to onshore treatment facilities
The FSUE “Rosmorport” Murmansk Branch Waste Generation Dynamics
One of the main activities of the Murmansk Branch is the implementation of federal investment programs, as well as capital investment programs of FSUE “Rosmorport”, aimed at the development of federal facilities of port infrastructure and fleet in the seaports of Dikson, Dudinka, Kandalaksha, Murmansk, Varandey, and Vitino.
The Murmansk Branch has implemented several investment projects in that field within performance of construction customer functions.
The project documentation for all facilities was developed in strict accordance with the standards and requirements of the Russian legislation in the field of environmental protection. Public hearings were held in accordance with the established procedure and positive conclusions of the State Expertise and State Ecological Expertise Committees were received.
At present the Murmansk Branch has no projects being at the stage of construction and installation works.
In short and medium terms, the Murmansk Branch will continue to implement projects aimed at the development of port infrastructure and fleet. In particular, the Murmansk Branch has planned:
- project of construction of the Russian segment of the Barents VTMIS with integration into the Kola Bay VTS. Currently, a specialized organization has developed design documentation, which was approved by the State Expertise Committee Conclusion No. 1275-13/GGE-8357/09 of 19.12.2013, including State Ecological Expertise Committee, issued by FAI “Glavgosekspertiza of Russia”, and approved by the State Expertise checking reliability of assessment of the capital construction facility estimated value No. 1292-13/GGE-8357/10 of 20.12.2013 issued by FAI “Glavgosekspertiza of Russia”. In case of allocation of the necessary finances, the start of construction and installation works is planned for 2020.
- construction project of environmental base in the seaport of Murmansk. According to established procedure, project documentation has been submitted to FAI “Glavgosexpertiza of Russia” (the Federal Autonomous Institution “State Expert Appraisal of Design Documentation and (or) Engineering Survey Results”), but it has been returned for further finalization. According to the FAI “Glavgosexpertiza of Russia” remarks, project documentation has been finalized and in 2019 it was submitted to public hearings. Based on the results of the discussions with the population and public associations no remarks and proposals have been made (Murmansk Administration Minutes of April 11, 2019 (reference)). According to established procedures, finalized project documentation has been sent for state environmental appraisal to Rosprirodnadzor (Russia’s Federal Service for Supervision in the Sphere of Nature Management). Subject to positive conclusions based on the state environmental and construction appraisal and allocating necessary funding construction and assembly works are planned to start in 2021.
In 2018 the total expenses of the Murmansk Branch on the implementation of measures for environmental protection amounted to 864 thousand rubles, including payments for negative impact on the environment.
The FSUE “Rosmorport” Murmansk Branch Expenses Dynamics
The Branch's cost cutting on the environmental protection in 2016 are connected with reducing production and consumption waste generated in the current economic activities, as well as with reducing waste related to stopping charging for hazardous substances (pollutants) emissions by mobile sources of the Murmansk Branch.
The Murmansk Branch plans to intensify its activities in the environmental field. The main objectives of the Branch in the field of environmental protection in the coming years will become:
- creation of an ecological complex for the provision of environmental services for collection of sewage and oily waters from vessels and coastal facilities located in the Kola Bay, cleaning the collected contaminated water, bringing it to the sanitary norms, dumping it into the municipal sewage system or using as boiler water by the facilities of the complex, separation of oily waters, obtaining oil;
- implementation of activities on further reduction of negative impact on the environment, in the course of current economic activiies of the Branch;
- improvement of environmental monitoring of environmental activities of the Branch;
- introduction of modern energy and resource saving technologies, in particular by means of installation of heat metering units, cold water meters, switching to energy saving lamps in the buildings of the Branch, and automatic lighting control devices in the technical areas;
- improving of environmental management and industrial environmental control