I. Environmental protection during current economic activities
1. Atmospheric air protection
2. Water resources protection
3. Land plots protection
4. Wastes disposal
5. Emergency liquidation
II. Environmental protection during dredging works
III. Environmental protection during construction/reconstruction of port infrastructure facilities
IV. Environmental protection expenses of the Arkhangelsk Branch
V. Prospects of environmental protection activities
Main objectives of the Arkhangelsk Branch in the field of environmental protection are:
- reduction of negative impact on the environment caused in the process of economic activities of the Branch;
- observance of the environmental protection legislation and environment quality normatives;
- production control over the environmental protection activities carried out by the Branch.
The environmental protection activities of the Arkhangelsk Branch are carried out in accordance with the annual plan of environmental protection activities for the Branch, developed and approved in accordance with the Russian Federation Legislation.
In order to ensure environmental activities, there is Labor and Environmental Protection Office in the Arkhangelsk Branch. Its employees deal with issues on organization of control over Branch’s observance of regulations and requirements of the environmental protection legislation of the Russian Federation, and implement activities on production ecological control during performance of the Branch’s statutory activities in the seaports of Arkhangelsk, Naryan-Mar, Onega and Sabetta.
The Arkhangelsk Branch employees engaged in those activities are specially trained in Environmental Protection and Rational Use of the Natural Resources, and have experience in this field of at least three years.
The FSUE “Rosmorport” Arkhangelsk Branch takes the following environmental protection measures during current economic activities.
1. Atmospheric air protection
In order to carry out statutory activities, the Arkhangelsk Branch manages transport means and stationary objects, which are sources of pollution. In accordance with the requirements of the Russian Federation Legislation, the Arkhangelsk Branch received permissions for emission of harmful substances (pollutants) into the air No. 07-10/01-201 of December 26, 2014 issued by the Rospotrebnadzor Department for the Arkhangelsk Region and No. 28 of May 06, 2014 issued by the Rospotrebnadzor Department for the Nenets Autonomous District.
Emissions of pollutants by the FSUE "Rosmorport" Arkhangelsk Branch (in thousand tons)
All transport and stationary sources of pollution of the Arkhanglesk Branch are regularly maintained by certified specialists. Emission volumes are within the norms set for combustion engines and boiler equipment.
Besides, the Arkhangelsk Branch carries out activities aimed at decrease of atmospheric pollution from its stationary facilities. In particular, the Branch closed several solid fuel boilers (coal boilers), and re-equipped other boilers to work on diesel fuel. Simultaneously the Branch conducted modernization of the heating system, with installation of electrical boilers. That step allowed the Arkhangelsk Branch to shut down fuel boilers to cold reserve.
Implementation of the above mentioned measures resulted in total decrease of emissions of pollutants of almost 10 tons per year.
2. Water resources protection
The FSUE “Rosmorport” Arkhkangelsk Branch received all water licences necessary for placing its vessels at berths and conducting dredging works in the water areas of the seaport of Arkhangelsk and Onega.
In accordance with the water legislation of the Russian Federation the Arkhangelsk Branch in the established order received:
• water license of May 13, 2005 series ARKH No. 00412 license type BRTBV for usage of 6 water sections of the Northern Dvina River, water area of the White Sea basin and its channels Kuznechikha and Maimaksa with the size of 0.2 square kilometres for placement of vessels and berthing constructions, issued by the Dvinsko-Pechorsky Basin Water Directorate of Rosvodresursy, effective till May 1, 2025;
• water license of March 21, 2006 series ARKH No. 00468 license tupe B2IBV for usage of 5 water sections of the Onega River and the Onega Bay of the White Sea with the total size of 4.1 square kilometres for vessels, berths, dredging, and soil dumps, issued by the Dvinsko-Pechorsky Basin Water Directorate of Rosvodresursy, effective till April 1, 2026.
Also the Arkhangelsk Branch, in accordance with the established procedure made a water use contract No. 00-15.02.03.003-M-DNBV-T-2017-04734/00 of May 22, 2014 for usage of the Ob Mouth of the Kara Sea to operate the south-western ice protective structure in Sabetta Seaport with the total size of almost 0.078 square kilometrers and the validity till December 01, 2036.
Besides, the Arkhangelsk Branch, in accordance with the established procedure, received decisions on granting of the water facility for use:
- decision No. 00-15.02.03.003-М-RBBV-Т-2015-02938/00 of March 20, 2015 on provision of two sections of water body with total area 15.5 km2, located in the Ob Bay of the Kara Sea, water management section 15.02.03.003 of the River of the western section of the Ob Bay Basin, for conduction of dredging during construction of sea and approach canals, issued by the Nizhne-Obsky Basin Water Department of Rosvodresursy, valid until December 31, 2017;
- decision No. 00-15.02.03.003-М-RLBV-Т-2015-03103/00 of June 05, 2015 on provision of two sections of water body with total area 0.02 km2, located in the Ob Bay of the Kara Sea, near the estuary of the Sabettayakha river, for construction of hydraulic (coast protective) structures, bridges, as well as underwater and underground passages, pipelines, underwater communication lines and other linear facilities, if such a construction is related to change of bottom and banks of water bodies issued by the Nizhne-Obsky Basin Water Department of Rosvodresursy, valid until December 31, 2017;
Apart from usage of the surface water facilities the Arkhangelsk Branch uses ground waters to provide for its production facilities. In accordance with the established procedure the branch received a licence ARKH No. 01277 of July 16, 2008 type VE for the use of subsurface resources for extracting technical underwaters to provide for the radio center issued by the Subsurface Management Department in Arkhangelsk Region.
Every quarter of the year the branch submits reports on execution of the plan of water protection and water use activities to the Dvinsko-Pechorskoye Basin Water Department and the Nizhne-Obskoye Water Basin Department of Federal Water Resources Agency.
Following the results of 2016, no cases of pollution of water bodies used by the Arkhangelsk Branch have been recorded.
3. Land plots protection
In order to prevent land pollution and littering the Arkhangelsk Branch:
- regularly cleans territory from garbage;
- keeps waste storage places in condition that meets the requirements of environmental legislation of the Russian Federation;
- disposes waste from its territory, according to contracts agreed with specialized licensed organisations.
As for the territories occupied by the leased facilities, the Arkhangelsk Branch sees that the lessees fulfill their duties on preventing pollution or littering of the used land plots.
4. Wastes disposal
The Arkhangelsk Branch keeps records of volumes of waste produced by the Branch during its activities, maintains supervision over the temporary waste storage places and frequency of waste disposal or recycling.
The Rosprirodnadzor Department for the Arkhangelsk region Order No. 190 of April18, 2016 duly approved waste generation normatives and limits on their placing for the Arkhangelsk Branch Onezhsky Division.
The Rosprirodnadzor Department for Nenets Autonomous District also established waste generation normatives and limits on their placing for the Arkhangelsk Branch Naryan-Mar Separate Subdivision of February 26, 2015.
Draft waste generation normative and limits on their placing for the Arkhangelsk Branch, at the place of the Branch location in the city of Arkhangelsk, are currently under consideration for approval by the Rosprirodnadzor Department for the Arkhangelsk Region.
Most of the waste produced by the Arkhangelsk Branch is of 3, 4 and 5 classes of hazard. However, some types of waste are of 1 and 2 classes of hazard, such as mercury lamps, wasted and out-of-spec luminescent mercury pipes, wasted accumulator sulphur acid, which make not more than 0.045 % of overall waste produced by the branch.
Corresponding contracts for waste use and neutralization have been concluded with license organizations for disposal of waste generated in the process of the current activities of the Arkhangelsk Branch.
Used mercury lamps, waste lead accumulators and other similar kinds of waste are transmitted to a specialized enterprise for treatment and recycling, while construction waste and household waste are disposed on the landfill of Arkhangelsk. If necessary, the waste of 2-5 classes of hazard can be disposed by the Arkhangelsk Branch itself by treatment in a special certified incinerator station “Forsazh-1” by the branch operators trained in providing ecological safety and treating hazardous waste. The station has a positive sanitary and epidemiological conclusion of Chief State Medical Officer of the Russian Federation No. 77.01.30.311.Т.06204.03.3 of March 20, 2003 on its compliance with the state sanitary and epidemiological norms, and also has a permit for its usage No. RRS 00-40893 of November 01, 2010, issued by Rostekhnadzor.
Dynamic of waste production by the FSUE "Rosmorport" Arkhangelsk Branch (in tons)
5. Emergency liquidation
The Arkhangelsk Branch elaborated, approved and agreed, according to the established procedure, a Plan on Prevention and Liquidation of Emergency Oil and Oil Products Leaks, in order to enable readiness, prompt reaction and organization of liquidation works in the Arkhangelsk branch responsibility coverage zone on its own, and also with the help of specialized emergency divisions on a contract basis.
Trainings on liquidation of emergency oil and oil products leaks liquidation are occasionally conducted in order to make the branch ready to fight emergency leaks and to rehearse the actions of the employees.
Every year the FSUE “Rosmorport” Arkhangelsk Branch conducts dredging repair works in order to provide navigation safety and maintain the announced depths in the following water areas:
• Dvina Gulf of the White Sea;
• Onega Mouth of the White Sea;
• the Northern Dvina river estuary;
• the Onega river estuary.
The Arkhangelsk Branch elaborated a program for supervision over the environmental pollution and morphological processes during dredging works and soil dumping in the water areas of Onega and Arkhangelsk seaports. Supervision is carried out on a contract basis by specialized license organizations on hydrometeorology and environmental monitoring.
To compensate damage caused to water biological resources when conducting repair dredging in the seaports of Arkhangelsk and Onega water areas, under the contract with the specialized fishing organizations of the Arkhangelsk region, the Branch is funding work on breeding of trout fingerlings, which are further released into the Solza and Syuzma rivers flowing into the Dvina Bay of the White Sea.
In the period of 2011 to 2015, the Arkhangelsk Branch spent 4.9 mln rubles on breeding of trout fingerlings, in the result of which almost 27.2 thousand fingerlings were bred and released into the Solza and Syuzma rivers. In 2016 the Arkhangelsk Branch did not release any fish due to absence of resources at the fish breeding plant. In 2017 the Branch is going to spend 4.5 mln rubles for implementation of compensation measures to water biological resources, which will allow to breed and release almost 18 thousand trout fingerlings into the Onega river.
Within the federal project on construction of the seaport of Sabetta, the Arkhangelsk Branch carries out extensive dredging works on construction of navigation approach canal on the section of the water area of the Ob Bay of the Kara Sea and formation of the seaport water area. In the established order, the Expert Commission of the State Ecological Expertise Committee considered and approved the design documentation, within which dredging works are planned on construction of navigation approach canal and the seaport water area. Positive conclusion of the Expert Commission of the State Ecological Expertise Committee was approved by Rosprirodnadzor Order No. 122 of March 28, 2012.
For the period of carrying out the corresponding dredging works, the Arkhangelsk Branch obtained a decision issued by the Nizhne-Obsky Basin Water Department of Rosvodresursy:
- dated No. 00-15.02.03.003-М-RBBV-Т-2015-02938/00 of March 20, 2015 for carrying out dredging works on section of the Ob Bay of the Kara Sea (sea canal and approach canal).
The second stage of construction in the seaport of Sabetta implies works on creation of sea canal in the Ob Bay water area, with the length of almost 49 km, as well as water area comprising entrance road, operating water area and turning basin with total area of 11.6 m2 and approach canal 5.6 km long, by reconstruction of the water area and approach canal created at the first stage of works. The design documentation, including sections on creating sea channel, reconstruction of the water area and the approach channel were duly considered by the State Ecological Expertise Committee, which found it compliant with the requirements of the legislation in the field of environment protection. Positive conclusion of the Expert Commission was approved by Rosprirodnadzor Order No. 529 of August 22, 2013. The State Construction Expertise Committee also considered the design documentation and survey results, and following the results of consideration, the Expert Board of the FSI “Glavgosekspertiza of Russia” Conclusion No. 852-13/GGE-8066/04 of September 25, 2013 approved compliance of the documentation with the normative technical documents requirements and legislative acts of the Russian Federation.
The Contractor involved by the enterprise, which performs dredging in the seaport of Sabetta water area and in approach canal within the first stage of works, developed program of production ecological control, which envisages:
- monitoring of anthropogenic impact factors;
- monitoring of state of the environment and the processes occurring in it under the influence of anthropogenic impact factors;
- assessment of the actual state of the environment during construction works.
When performing dredging works, the contractor ensures constant monitoring of water bodies and implements activities on aqueous medium protection in particular:
- hopper dredgers filling is performed without overflow of process water overboard;
- barges and hopper dredger unloading is performed only after their full stop (while adrift);
- soil is loaded in bucket by 75% without hill, in order to prevent ingress of the lifted soil back into the water area.
Following the results of 2012-2016, the contractor spent 528.8 mln rubles on purposes related to payment for negative impact on environment. In 2016, within compensation of damage to water biological resources, by order of the general contractor, which carried out construction, 9.3 mln peled fingerlings were bred and released into the Ob-Irtysh Basin rivers.
One of the main activities of the Arkhangelsk Branch is implementation of federal investment programs, as well as capital investments of FSUE “Rosmorport”, aimed at development of federal facilities of port infrastructure and fleet in the seaports of Arkhangelsk, Mezen, Naryan-Mar and Onega.
In this direction, the Arkhangelsk Branch implemented several investment projects within construction customer functions performance.
Design documentation for all the projects was developed in strict compliance with normative and requirements of the Russian Federation Legislation in the field of environment protection. Public hearings were held in the established order and positive conclusions of the State Ecological and State Expertise Committees were received.
In the short and medium terms, the Arkhangelsk Branch will continue to implement projects aimed at the development of port infrastructure and fleet.
Within implementation of the second stage of construction of the seaport of Sabetta facilities, the Arkhangelsk Branch is to perform:
- construction of ice-protective structures of the seaport;
- construction of port vessel traffic management systems facilities;
- construction of facilities of check points through the border of the Russian Federation.
The design documentation on construction of main facilities of the seaport of Sabetta, developed by specialized project organization, including materials of assessment of impact on environment, was approved in accordance with the results of conducted public hearings in the Yamal district (minutes dated 19.11.2013) and in the Tazovsky district of the Yamalo-Nenets Autonomous District (minutes dated 21.11.2013). The design documentation also received positive conclusion of the Expert Commission of the State Ecological Expertise Committee, approved by Rosprirodnadzor Order No. 529 of 22.08.2013, as well as positive conclusion of the State Expertise Committee No. 852-13/GGE-8066/04 of 25.09.2013, approved by FAI “Glavgosekspertiza of Russia”.
In 2014 Changes were introduced to the design documentation on construction of main facilities of the seaport of Sabetta, related to:
- correction of constructive solutions planned for construction of ice-protective structures;
- creation of artificial land plot in the seaport, where construction of the technological overpass is planned, which is designed for placing system for loading liquefied natural gas and gas condensate in transport vessels with deadweight up to 100 thousand tons;
- construction division into stages when dredging in the sea and approach canals of the seaport, in order to optimize expenses on their construction by agreeing on terms of commissioning of industrial capacities of power plant under construction for the production of liquefied natural gas and gas condensate.
In the established order, the changed and supplemented design documentation and the results of engineering surveys were submitted to the State Construction Expertise Committee in FAI “Glavgosekspertiza of Russia” for consideration, following the results of which positive conclusion of the State Expertise Committee was received No. 581-14/GGE-8066/04 of 30.04.2014.
For construction of the Northwestern ice-protective structure, as well as deepwater part of the Southeastern ice-protective structure of the seaport of Sabetta, the Arkhangelsk Branch in the established order received decision on provision of the Ob Bay water area of the Kara Sea, total area of 0.038 sq. km, for use No. 00-15.02.03.003-M-RLBV-Т-2017-04489/00 of 10.02.2017, issued by the Water Resources Department for the Yamalo-Nenets Autonomous District of the Nizhne-Obsky Basin Water Department of Rosvodresursy, valid till 31 of May of 2018.
For the root section of the Southeastern ice-protective structure of the seaport of Sabetta that has been constructed and placed into operation in the established order, the Arkhangelsk Branch is implementing measures for establishment of the water use agreement.
Activities in the field of environment protection, when carrying out construction and installation works, related to construction of coastal facilities in the seaport of Sabetta, are carried out in the following directions:
Activities on protection and rational use of land resources and soil cover:
- maximum reduction of construction and installation works site dimensions;
- arrangement of special concrete pad with installation and fixing of metal containers for collection of household waste and their timely removal;
- collection of domestic waste water in the damp-proof drives with subsequent removal by specialized licensed organizations;
- collection and removal of construction waste in process of its generation carried out by specialized organizations.
Activities on ambient air protection:
- control over operating modes of the process equipment, trucks and cargo handling equipment and engines on vessels;
- consistent implementation of works and organization of the works process in order to avoid idle modes of construction machinery;
- use of fuels with reduced sulfur content;
- control over exact observance of works performance technology.
Activities on water bodies protection:
- operation of a technically perfect construction machinery and vessels;
- implementation of measures excluding ingress of lubricants into water bodies, including during refueling of construction machines and mechanisms;
- water supply of construction site with delivered water.
Activities on collection, use, neutralization, transportation and placing of hazard waste:
- accounting of normative formation of the total amount of waste generated during the construction of the facility;
- accounting and control of collection, conditions of temporary storage, waste transportation, compliance with environmental safety regulations and safety technology for waste handling
- selective waste collection;
- waste to be reused or processed, shall be transferred to specialized enterprises engaged in the processing of waste.
Total expenses of the Arkhangelsk Branch on implementation of activities on the environment protection in 2016, including payments for negative impact on the environment amounted to over 4.9 mln rub.
Environmental protection activities expenses of the FSUE “Rosmorport” Arkhangelsk Branch (in million roubles)
Reduction of expences on the enviromental protection activities of the Arkhangelsk Branch in 2016 are the result of impossibility of implementation of measures for release of juvenile fish by the Branch due to the abscence of the material at the fish farm in the Arkhangelsk Region which, in accordance with the agreement on performance of work on reproduction of aquatic biological resources, was supposed to supply the Arkhangelsk Branch with the appropriate amount of juvenile fish. The necessary supplies of the juvenile fish are expected to be provided by the fish farm in 2017.
The FSUE “Rosmorport” Arkhangelsk Branch is planning to conduct further activities in the field of environmental protection, the main tasks being:
• decrease of negative influence on the environment;
• modernization of equipment used by the branch in order to increase ecological safety;
• energy saving and implementation of energy saving technologies;
• improving ecological management and production ecological supervision.